An eventful reunion 🎀

The next day, the weather was grey but pleasant. Rebecca sat patiently on a small coffee terrace. Dressed all in black, she camouflaged herself from the gaze of others and from the light. She glanced at her watch, hoping to see her friend, who was running late, appear.

A few metres away, her best friend waved to her. She looked radiant and happy to see her again. Rebecca despised her, but she had to get to the bottom of it. Berenice had a point about her in certain respects, such as not listening to her when she was in need. She systematically complained about everything. This was becoming a difficult routine for Berenice Martin, who no longer dared to contradict her. In the young Gothic woman's mind, moments spent together flashed by. They opposed each other like night and day, but their friendship was sincere. Catherine was right, Rebecca thought. You have to learn to grow up and change your mentality... become mature. The two friends felt ready to show a different side of themselves if things were to move forward. The Parisian crossed the road and took her place opposite her beloved friend, her face beaming. Rebecca simply lowered her eyes.

"Hi Rebecca," said Berenice, beaming.

"Hi" replied Rebecca, with a faraway look in her eyes.

"You didn't have to come..."

"I'm here, don't make me regret it. What did you want to tell me?"

Berenice took a deep breath of fresh air and spoke up.

"I wanted to apologise. I know that you're a special girl, that you're different from the others. As far as I'm concerned, I should have told you earlier that I felt lonely, because I can't get a word in edgeways... I should have listened to you more carefully about that business at Pyramides station. The problem is that I can't believe it could be real. There was no information about it and there still isn't any to this day. Can you try to understand me?"

"I'm putting myself in your shoes and I think you're right... I know I'm not mature and I need to learn to grow up, it's essential if we're going to get along in the long term. It's true that vampire stories are funny when you're five", Rebecca explained, embarrassed, "but when I talk to you about it, I'm frank. I'm older now, but all that stuff about vampires is part of me! As for your unexpected reaction, you only wanted what was best for me... and I thank you for that."

"Am I to understand that we've made our peace?" asked a relieved Berenice.

"Don't make me change my mind," smiled Rebecca, crossing her arms.

Berenice put her hand on Rebecca's and kissed her hand, expressing her affection. The Goth took off her sunglasses and exchanged a sincere glance with her best friend. Berenice frowned slightly at the look on Rebecca's face. The Parisian refused to lose her again: Rebecca meant everything to her, despite their differences. They had argued before for various reasons, but this quarrel was longer than usual. Rebecca promised her that she would always listen and put her problems aside. As they chatted about everything, a chill wind blew across the room. The atmosphere changed dramatically. The people on the terrace headed inside the coffee for more warmth. A storm seemed to be brewing. All of a sudden, Rebecca's hands jerked and slammed against the table. Something was happening, but she preferred to continue their discussion.

"Things have been happening to me lately," Rebecca announced thoughtfully.