The training camp 🎀

The camp where Rebecca was staying looked more like a refuge. The Elite Hunters were designed to protect humans from the threat of vampires. Their role was to record and catalogue the species. Once these catalogues had been completed, they would be able to defend themselves against these creatures. Humans would also have at their disposal an encyclopaedia that would endure. Captured vampires would undergo extraction of their effluvium with no chance of survival. The Researcher would gather information from reports given by members of the elite and from the vampires' essence. Once the training of the Elite Hunters was complete, the team leader would need to know in detail the protocol for exploration outside the Kingdom. If a new breed of vampire was discovered, the vampire's body and a detailed report on the mission had to be sent to a Researchers' laboratory. Rebecca was well aware of this, even if she found it extreme. At the heart of the training camp stood five large tents for each disciple: the marquees were several metres apart. Rebecca was amazed by the surroundings. There was a field with training puppets, circuits leading to the forest and a stream leading to a large lake. The air was pure and the sky a blue tending towards grey. The majestic view presented an array of colours. The different colours accentuated the relief of the trees, giving the impression of being in a fairytale dream. Further on, there was a cliff from which you could admire the expanse of nature. There had been a stunned silence since Ralph had left. The young man with the fiery bracelets withdrew and so did the elf. The other two naturally moved closer to Rebecca. The pink thorn aroused their curiosity. The boy and his wolf stepped forward timidly. Instinctively, the other hooded Dark Hunter encouraged him. "Hello there. Do you speak our language?"

"I haven't learnt yet," Rebecca replied shyly.

"You should start. By the way, my name is Rufus Yu, I'm a Metamorph born in Izbur and my wolf's name is Sweety. Pleased to meet you."

"Nice to meet you..."

The other introduced himself with a more relaxed air.

"My name is Golmatan Ferloin, a Phantom born in Izbur."

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Rebecca Moon," said the young woman, smiling slightly.

"All three of us come from the Kingdom of Izbur!"

"Me?" astonished Rebecca.

"Yes," replied Rufus, "your family is famous and originally from Izbur. We've also just learned that Christine Moon has been locked up," said Golmatan sadly.

He used his black magic to conjure up a newspaper article and read the situation to Rebecca.

"Your mother is suspected of having given birth to a Hybrid, or more precisely an Impure... Nowadays, the law that encouraged Hunters to mate with creatures from outside our world no longer exists. Breeding with a vampire is a capital offence. She'll be condemned. Do you know who your father is?" asked Golmatan, curious.

"My father is human. He's not a vampire," replied Rebecca, saddened.

The elf overheard their conversation. He had hidden himself away to spy on them. He mingled with them contemptuously. Rebecca was captivated by his long hair and athletic build.

"How do you explain your presence in the Kingdom if you don't know your origins?"

"Your mother broke one of Olga Caligus' wishes, that's obvious!"

"Olga Caligus?" Rebecca asked the astonished elf.

"Oh please, let the Legendary Five come to me!" replied the young elf, leaving the scene.

Rufus and Golmatan apologised for the elf. They could sense that Rebecca was deeply affected, as she still knew nothing about the history of the Hunters and the Kingdoms. She withdrew and walked to the great lake, alone. Learning to be a Hunter seemed impossible. Rebecca had to put aside her sorrows and doubts. With her weapon in her hand, she remembered the cold look in the elf's eyes. A few minutes passed in the cool weather at the training camp. Rebecca plunged into her reading in front of the trickling lake. The Guide displayed information about Queen Olga Caligus: