Rebecca's diary 🎀

Day 20 with the Hunters

Dear Diary,

Life in the camp is not so bad. Sauron is making an effort, even if he's still scornful and distant. Naar is a real stubborn bastard, he's unbearable! I can't stand him any more. Unlike the others, Golmatan and Rufus are real sweethearts, they're kind to me. Sometimes they help me subdue deer to drink their blood. Hunting with them, I've learnt that Hunters don't necessarily feed on vampire organs, but on insects and birds. Insects... Yuck! I think I'll get used to them eventually... I haven't mastered my powers to perfection, but I've noticed a marked improvement. The combat exercises are exhausting and the puppets are formidable. Last time, I lost half an ear, but it's just grown back again... I can regenerate effectively, so that's already reassuring! I used to think that solitude cured all ills, but in reality it's the opposite. Golmatan and Rufus are helping me to forge links. I'm learning every day that having just one friend can become tiresome over time, so having other exceptional friends means I don't always have to rely on just one person. Everyone has their own opinion and their own experience. There will also be moments of disappointment, like those I experienced with my best friend, as well as moments of love, like those I experienced with Catherine, who was always thoughtful, and also moments of rivalry, Naar being a case in point.

I can't wait to venture out and explore the Kingdoms. I'm so curious and amazed by their power. As far as moving around the Kingdoms is concerned, I've learnt that members of the elite have teleportation stones for their personal movement. The Special Squads only use teleportation platforms, which can be found at specific points. I still don't trust this magic, but I understand that the alchemists are its creators: they are made up of Illusionists, Ghosts and Sorcerers who have an exceptional distinction. Without it, they'd still be doing menial tasks.

Finally, I need to find a way of finding my hero. The mummified Docile certainly knows something about him, but he won't tell me. I've even asked him about the stories of the Hero and the Traitor but, like everyone else, he won't tell me anything more. Why did the Traitor prefer vampires? I'm sure I'll find out if I keep looking. In any case, the Guide is truly an extraordinary work! Without it, I'd never have caught up on the composition of the Inverted World.