Chapter 25

I stretched my body in my half-asleep state and moved my arm to hold Gaia but I was made with thin air

I stretched my body in my half-asleep state and moved my arm to hold Gaia but I was made with thin air. I smile remembering our passionate night before. Rummaging for my boxer shorts I slid them over my naked form with my eyes still sealed shut. My eyes opened in alarm as my entire body switched to flight mode. My gaze swiftly snapped towards the source of noise that made me come awake from my slumber. My laptop pinged with a notification, followed by a screeching alarm.

Gaia's startled screech came from the kitchen, followed by the noise of a cup breaking. Leaving the alarm to continue blaring, I draw my weapon and charge toward the kitchen in rush.

I felt a little gush of relief as I found her in the kitchen clutching something to her chest, her face filled with terror, she was not physically hurt. I moved to aim to look for an intruder, shoot to kill. When I found nothing out of the ordinary, my head quickly wrapped around the situation.

Lowering my gun, I walk back toward the table and check the notification. The ear-splitting sound stopped, blanketing the house in a deafening silence. The notification indicated that someone from my phone had called the police.

"What the fuck did you do?" I roar, charging towards Gaia, grabbing her by the back of her neck I pull her to me. A hoarse sob left her lips, her face was already marred with dry tears, face turned red and slightly swollen from all her crying. The phone she clutched to her chest slipped from her hands. I tightened my hold on her neck and pulled our faces closer until our noses were touching each other.

"You call the only number you could, huh. My gun was just a few feet away, myshka. So why didn't you just shoot me? It would have been a lot less painful. I would have died in my sleep. Blissfully, because I finally got to tell you how much I love you." I whisper slowly, my voice void of emotions, feeling the numbness, and defeat I had never felt before in my life. I thought we had made progress and finally were on the path to forget that I had kidnapped her. Maybe she was beginning to feel something for me too. She was physically comfortable in her body if last night was any indication. She no longer felt the need to hide her, from me, from herself. I was happy. We were happy.

"No. no. I didn't want you to hate me." she sobbed, clutching my neck as my hands suspended on my sides in defeat. Her fingers move to cup my cheek, shaking me to bring me back to her.

"But you hate me. Admitted, you give me hope. I thought I could make you fall in love with me, you know." I chuckle ruefully. "I told you everything..."

"Please.." she pleaded with me, trying to make me look into her eyes.

My heart ached, my hands shivered as I fought my need to gather her in my arms as her knees gave and she fell to my feet, crying miserably. My back collided with the fridge as I walked back from her just needing some distance before I do something reckless.

Hairs on the nape of my head raised in alarm as I heard the elevator door sliding open.

Ruslan emerged and ran to the living room area with his own weapon drawn. His eyes widened in alarm to see Gaia crying helplessly, mumbling incorrigible words. His eyes scanned the scene from the broken cup, shattered screen of the phone and Gaia slumped on the floor crying. He switched the gun to safety and shoved it back in his jeans.