Chapter 27

I violently wipe my face in frustration as I run on the treadmill

I violently wipe my face in frustration as I run on the treadmill. Gaia's tear-stricken face haunts me every time I close my eyes. It had just been a few hours since Ruslan took Gaia with him. I couldn't help but feel that maybe we were better apart. I couldn't decide what I would do if she came in front of me, apologize to her, or throw her into our bedroom and lock the door, so she never left me again. After my previous mistake of taking Gaia and keeping her in the club as a captive, I had sworn never to hurt her like that again. My thoughts were interrupted when my other phone rang somewhere in the other room. Throwing the towel I barrel towards the room, not many people have this number.

"What is it?" I bark, running out to take my guns. No matter what the situation is, I just want to be near Gaia.

"Dad came home." Ruslan spoke, his voice giving me a slight hint of panic. I strap more guns and knives to my chest. This is my fault she was safe here. She should have never left the house. I should have made her stay in one of the vacant apartments in the building for the time being.

"Fuck!" I shout, grabbing the keys to my car and punching the button to the elevator.

"Where is he now?"

"He left, or so he said I am driving in a circle, then I'll go back." I could hear his car running I dropped my head back on the cold surface as I helplessly stood in my place. the elevator doors slid open and I rushed toward my car.

"How far are you?"

"15 minutes. I can't make a U-turn. I had to pretend I was leaving too." he spoke, his voice booming inside the car as I sped off.

I calculated reaching there in about 45 minutes, but I got stuck in traffic inside this metal box. Every second I spend here is a threat to Gaia. I feel myself getting close to tears For the second time today, my phone rang again. I felt a little relief to see it was Ruslan.

"Kazimir, This mother fucker Lebedev has called. I think you should hear him out." he spoke quickly before I could deny the request.

"Put him on speaker." I yell, pinching the bridge of my nose as I hear that Ruslan is still driving. The narrow roads to his place only allow one car at a time.

"Kazimir here. Speak up. I don't have time for your games." I threaten.

"I have something to tell you." Lebedev spoke in an even voice. "I called because I heard Igor visited a lawyer yesterday." My blood turned into ice, my feet cemented on the floor.

"Who." my voice hollow.

"Edmundo is parting ways with his law firm. Then Igor went to another law firm with some urgent papers. Do you want me to tell you on the phone or just show them to you..."

*****

Things happened in slow motion as I walked over, taking the bodyguard behind the car, and laid his limp body slowly so as to not alert the other bodyguards who were strolling around the basement where we parked the cars and had urgent ammunition. The guards posted on the property outside were neutralized. Ruslan came in my direction carefully not to touch the luxury car. They had silent alarms. I threw a text to Natasha. My physique barred me from crawling under the cars.