Chapter 28

A drop of sweat trickled down my spine as my blood ran cold

A drop of sweat trickled down my spine as my blood ran cold. The men pointing their guns at me lowered them and took a step back, but the threat still lingered, dangling above my head like the swords of the Damocles. The room remained eerily calm until they opened the wrecked door and a footstep approached slowly. I had apprehension about something really wrong about to happen. Just last night, I was in Kazimir's arms, feeling like the luckiest woman ever. But no it was this moment. And I have an even stronger feeling it would have happened regardless of my mutiny against Kazimir.

"I got you, my love." Kazimir's father smiled warmly. "Igor Mikhailov." he introduced himself, raising his brows slightly, expecting me to return the welcoming gesture. But nothing in his tone was welcoming. Looking into his hazel eyes to feel a tad bit of comfort didn't work. They didn't hold the warmth Kazimir's does. He is someone I would imagine Kazimir becoming when he reaches his age.

"I don't n-need your help. Leave m-me alone." I heard myself say the feeling was of out-of-body experience for me. I couldn't believe it was my voice or the voice of someone else standing behind me. I wasn't stuttering during the time I had spent with Kazimir. I had talked with him for hours without stuttering and even if I did stutter sometimes, he remained patient.

His brows raised in challenge. "It wasn't a request, myshka." he spat, the others beside him chuckled darkly at me, giving me a once over. I look down at my exposed skin in discomfort. Ruslan's gaze didn't make me feel like I was naked, but these men had undressed me with their eyes from the moment they barged inside.

It was an order from the pakhan I had to follow. Saying no would not have given me any desired result, but I had to keep my ground and stall them in hopes of having Ruslan back.

"I'm already a captive here. Or have you come to an agreement with the Camorra?" I say, standing up from the bed. He wasn't too tall from me. From this distance, I could see him in the eyes without craning my neck.

"An agreement with..." he trails purposely, his hazel eyes shining with mischief. Like a light bulb flicking on, I gather what he was trying to gauge.

"My father, of course," I say with a tight smile, letting him know that I know about my father's release from prison. God forbid what Valerius would have done had they laid their hand on Carina. So with my father back in the picture and Valerius' lack of affection towards me, my father would have been the one to negotiate or propose some kind of peace offering.

"Their so much you don't know. Come with me. I'll tell you a story." He smiled, gesturing towards the door to lead me out.

"I am not going anywhere until Ruslan or Kazimir arrive." I say, stumbling over my words, but my voice laced with confidence. I rounded my shoulders as I made eye contact with his soldiers. Be it a made man of the Camorra or soldiers of the bratva, they were all the same with soulless eyes. Broad shoulders, meaty muscles and a small brain that only functioned to follow orders.