˚₊‧꒰ 𝐀𝐬𝐚𝐤𝐮𝐬𝐚'𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐫 ꒱ ‧₊˚

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐: 𝐀𝐬𝐚𝐤𝐮𝐬𝐚'𝐬 𝐃𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐨𝐲𝐞𝐫

˚₊‧꒰ა ☆ ໒꒱ ‧₊˚

"As expected of Maki." 

Shinra had chimed in after the lieutenant and commander told the origin of the 8th brigade, and we all were really invested in it, I know that I was.. I'd die before I admit that to anyone though. Those pricks at whatever lame company weren't even fire soldiers, our brigade was so much better it was laughable.

"Really? I thought you only invited me to be a meat shield.." Maki held her face gently, eyes watering up with tears, and I snickered at her emotional reaction, "Captain gave me such regards as that?" It didn't take more then a few seconds until she started giggling with pride, and I pat her back, because she is a good fire soldier. 

"Come to think of it, he did said you were once skinny, Maki.." Arthur spoke out loud, and I turned to him with my face scrunched up in disbelief. Both by what he said and how.. how dense he was, bless his heart. I didn't rush to save him when Maki pounced, murmuring a 'Látom' for him as I turned a blind eye.

"Captain, thank you for your hard work." Captain Obi shared his gratitude with lieutenant Hinawa, turning to us younger folks, "The spirit of the eighth brigade hasn't changed since it's formation, we give our respect and prayers to the dead and release them from the flames." He spoke in all seriousness, and his words made my heart clench.. my mind began wandering, "We value the lives of humans." 

The lid I had over my emotions popped off, and I looked up at the captain, I was not about to shy away from this. I had to spit it out soon enough, might as well do it now.

"This might be sudden.. but, I have something I need to say." I looked at the captain and lieutenant, and let my eyes drift over to Shinra's. He waited with an encouraging nod, always the friend I needed whenever and wherever. I told them all about my run in with the joker, the possibility of Sho being alive.. and the fact that he worked under the preacher, the 'leader of the knights'. My talk with lieutenant Hinawa did reach me, and I felt- no, more so I knew that there was nothing to worry about when it came to my companions at the eighth brigade. 

"Sho!?" Shinra, of course, burst out first. Sho was his blood brother, and I nodded and pulled over my rollie chair for him to collapse into, which he did. He grew silent, taking in all the information, and definitely planning on questioning me when we were alone.

"But, can we really trust what the joker is telling us?" Arthur reasoned, and I nodded.. though, I had no idea why he'd chuck all that useless information at me and shit if it wasn't true. There was no reason for him to lie, he wouldn't get anything out of pissing me off. 

"The joker is a dangerous man that put the lives of fire officers at risk during the rookie tournament!" Tamaki reminded us all, and I grumbled at my failure to beat him back then, "He could be spreading lies to spread chaos once again.." 

"He has no reason to lie, and the fire from twelve years ago.. Sho's remains were never found, so I believe he's alive." I had my arms crossed over my chest, and knew my face had hardened with all my inner turmoil, "He has to be." I finished, looking down at the ground and very nearly getting trapped within my own mind, if not for Captain Obi clasping his hands on both mine and Shinra's shoulders- successfully, knocking us both out of any stupor.