Season 3A Survival of the Fittest

Chapter 1: More than an anchor

I need somebody to heal

Somebody to know
Somebody to have
Somebody to hold
It's easy to say
But it's never the same
I guess I kinda liked the way you numbed all the pain

++++ A day before the first day of Junior year ++++

Scott's POV

Alexandra just stopped by the clinic to deliver our food and asked to talk with me because she hadn't heard from Isaac in two weeks.

I can tell she is worried sick about Isaac. She really likes him; that is obvious, and it seems more than that. To me, it looks like love.

"Who was that? I heard someone coming in," says Deaton with a puzzled stare, as he can notice my changed demeanor.

"It was Alexandra. She is worried about Isaac. Apparently, he has been MIA for two weeks now."

"That is odd. Did you check with Derek?"

"Alexandra says she even went to the loft and didn't find Derek there either. She looked so tired. She even seemed physically sick."

"Do you know Alexandra's back story?" asked Deaton, and to be honest, I really don't know much about her.

"Well, I remember when she arrived at Beacon Hills Middle School, and then some girls started taunting her, so she became very solitary and would only talk with Danny. I now feel bad; maybe I could have been friendlier, but to my defense, back then, I was a nobody as well, so hanging with me wouldn't have helped her situation."

"Well, Scott, I don't think Alexandra cares about 'popularity'; she craves a sense of belonging. I learned about her a few months after she was placed with Jessi. Jessi was desperate to help her connect, so she asked me if I thought a therapy dog was a good idea. That girl has some serious trust and anxiety issues, which worsened by the cruel jokes of those other students."

"I don't know much more because she only occasionally comes to deliver food and plays a little with the animals here. She hardly talks about her past, but you and Stiles are the lucky ones with great parents. Alexandra and Isaac weren't that lucky, so I guess they bonded over that. Knowing how hard Jessi says it is for Alexandra to connect with people, she must feel quite bad by not knowing where Isaac is."

"Yeah, that makes sense; I am pretty sure they are a couple, even though they haven't shown it publicly yet."

"Oh, I didn't know the couple part. Interesting. Do you know older, more traditional werewolf packs believe in the moon goddess selecting their soulmates and that the bond of those couples is practically unbreakable?"

"No, didn't know any of that," there is so much about the werewolf life that I still don't know.

"We don't have those beliefs here, but somehow the way that Isaac's disappearance affects Alexandra, I guess the connection these two share is what the old tales refer to."

Text from Scott: "Hey man, I think something is going on. Alexandra just stopped by and told me that Isaac is missing."

Text from Stiles: "OK, any ideas what is going on?"

Text from Scott: "Nope, but it seems like the calm during this summer was only a short break before things got bad."

Text from Stiles: "Not cool, was hoping for a calmer junior year. Tell me more when I get you. Are you sure you are going for that tattoo"?

Text from Scott: "For sure, see you soon!"

++++++++++

Today is the first day of junior year, and I am walking in with a big knot in my stomach. Danny meets with me in the library before class and tells me he will be my partner in crime as Jackson left town during the summer.