Chapter 2: Making Friends

What if we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine
Nothing could keep us apart
You'll be the one I was meant to find
It's up to you, and it's up to me
No one could say what we get to be

New year, new me! That is my new mantra! I spent too much of my life scared of being rejected or ridiculed. My mother obviously did a number on my self-esteem, which the idiots from the school made worse after the videos and bullying. Now, I am living in Europe, and this is my opportunity to rebuild my life, far away from the sad memories, including those with a certain someone with curly hair and blue eyes. He also abandoned me, giving up on what I thought was a beautiful fairy tale, so now is my time to build on the new skills I have learned in therapy and come out of my shell.

It is time to start focusing on me and not thinking about Isaac anymore. In this place, I can start anew. I have made new friends. Some seem to be the kind of friends who will stay close for the long run, while others are probably just circumstantial. But that's fine with me because coming from being a wallflower, ignored by pretty much everyone, to actually feeling good enough about myself to get out of my cocoon and interact with others is a significant step. My therapist is super proud.

My new friends were recommended by Marco. They are a bunch of omegas rogues. Who would have told me that I, a mere human, would be part of a pack, well sort of. They don't belong to any pack, and because they know that individually, they are in danger, they have connected with each other. They come from different traditions within the werewolf community. And they are doing great.

Even though I travel solo to certain cities, I always end up catching up with a particular group made up of two couples who are mates, plus a gay, unmated guy. Maria and Louis met three years ago. They didn't share much about their past before meeting each other. Still, from the little they have said, it seems like they were both rejected by their respective mates and had been wandering throughout the continent until fate put them together in a tiny city and immediately felt the pull of their second chance mate bond. Louis worships Maria and everything she does. His eyes tell me that much. 

They are both quiet and shy unless they are in their room alone. Their heated making love sessions can be heard across the whole hostel, which is embarrassing. Still, when that happens, they always come out of their room the following day with the biggest smiles.

The other couple is as much in love and passionate as the previous one. In this case, Jacob's father was a Beta, and when he found out his mate was a runt and the pack wanted to vanish her, he defied his father and his Alpha. They made him choose, and he decided to go with her, leaving everything behind for his true mate. Look at someone willing to sacrifice for love? They are adorable. She is shy and caring, while he is fierce and taciturn. You can only see him smile and laugh when she is around. I can tell he is hyper-possessive too, because when we visit places with lots of people, he gets anxious and grabs her super close; sometimes, he goes as far as to carry her small frame. She looks like a delicate flower in the hands of a giant.

When I meet with these four, it is tough for me to accept that the person who I thought was my home preferred to be with someone else. These couples fought for their love and rewrote their fate. Still, I must remember that my fairytale has already finished without a happy ending. Maybe someday I will find a new person who I can open up to and love, but for now, love is not in my cards.

At least I have Mauro. He is amazing and reminds me of my dear Danny. He was thrown out of his pack because he came out as gay, and his parents and friends turned their back on him, saying that he was a disgrace to their pack. He told me it was terrible for a while, but then he decided to lick his emotional wounds and start the pilgrimage to find his true mate. He has been backpacking for two years without luck, but he is convinced he will find love.