Chapter 8: Sacrifices

Yeah, I would fight for you

I'd lie for you

Walk the wire for you

Yeah, I'd die for you

The past 24 hours have been intense. Everyone is on edge for the meeting tonight and because we haven't found Sapphire. Marco is not himself. He is feeling guilty about his abrupt decision to kick her out.

"Marco, it is okay to be stressed out. You are about to begin a new era for those abandoned and humiliated rogues. You are doing a good thing, and it will work out. If anyone can do this, it is you."

"Thank you, Lexi. You have been instrumental in this process. I don't understand why you care so much, given that you are a human without interest in the werewolf's community."

He probably didn't mean it in the wrong way. I know he is not thinking straight, but I won't negate that I felt a stab deep in my heart. His comment reflected one of my biggest fears...that I truly don't belong here. I am even more convinced I need to leave as soon as possible.

"You guys are my friends and the closest thing I have to a family outside the diner, so I want to help. Tonight, you will go out with a bang during your DJ concert, and after that, you guys will settle. I am heading out to get the guys who arrive in a few hours. I'll see you at the club."

Even though the negative thoughts about not belonging anywhere were rummaging through my head, the positive ones about seeing Danny soon helped me keep a happy face.

Isaac stayed behind with Jacob and Louis, preparing the last-minute details for the security. Mauro and Phil offered to come along.

It was incredible. When Danny came running to hug me, I felt my heart mending a little. My BFF was here, and we had much to catch up on in person. FaceTime was not enough anymore. However, before I could start making plans, I felt a firm hold on my shoulder and a light growl in my ear. "Who is he?" said Mauro with dreamy eyes.

"Danny, these are my friends Mauro and Phil. Mauro, Phil, these are my friends: Danny, Jackson and Ethan." 

It felt weird calling Jackson and Ethan my friends, given our past history, but Jackson was no longer the insensitive jock he used to be, while Ethan showed his regret regarding the things he did in the past. Interestingly enough, I caught some furtive glances between these two, wondering if something was happening there. But the one who surprised me was Mauro; he was speechless, looking at Danny with a deep, serious expression I had never seen on his face.

After a couple of hours settling in and showing them some of the basics of the city, I went alone with Danny to chat. He looks incredible and happy.

"So, what can you tell me about your friend Mauro? Not gonna lie, I felt a very intense energy coming off from him, and I am quite interested in him," said Danny with a grin.

"Danny boy, you don't change, do you? I think you two would get along fine. I know you know what Marco is. Mauro is like him, so you know what you would deal with."

"Please, my best friend is a Kanima, and my ex-boyfriend is a werewolf. Plus, you have managed with Lahey, so I guess we humans can deal with inter-species romances."

"You know better than anyone that my relationship with Isaac hasn't been easy, and I just want you to be safe and not get hurt. But hang out with Mauro. Maybe you two can figure this out better than Isaac and me."

"So, how is that coming along?"

"It's working out well. Still early on this new phase of our relationship to tell, but I am content we are giving ourselves this break."