Chapter 5: Becoming Undone

I'm still holdin' on to everything that's dead and gone
I don't wanna say goodbye, 'cause this one means forever
And now you're in the stars and six-feet's never felt so far
Here I am alone between the heavens and the embers

The diner is almost empty tonight, and the guys are back in the kitchen, so I am alone refilling all the napkins and bottles on each table when suddenly Isaac comes in.

I jump to my feet to hug him, but he looks like that is the last thing he wants right now, so I hold my breath and stop in place, frozen. I am looking into his gaze, trying to decipher what is wrong. He doesn't appear to be hurt.

"Hey, what's up?"

"Alexandra, I have been thinking, and I don't think this, us, works," he says without an ounce of regret in his voice, while my heart feels like Klaus from The Originals is ripping it out from my chest. I take a deep breath to process what he is saying.

"It won't work. Before, you were helping me when my dad was around. But my dad is no longer here, and I am getting very good at protecting myself; you are constantly anxious and weak, so I don't think I'd like to continue with this thing we have going on."

I am trembling trying to process what he is saying, and then he collapses to the floor in a pool of blood.

"Sorry, I just wanted to push you away before this happened. I knew sooner or later I would get badly hurt; I wanted to avoid you seeing me like this."

"Isaac, Isaac, c'mon don't do this, please, please, don't leave me. I can't do this without you, open your eyes."

And suddenly, a pair of arms hug me while I am trashing in my bed.

"Lexi, Lexi, it's OK, it's a nightmare, I am here, you are fine," says Isaac with a concerned tone.

"Oh, thank God, it was so real," I say while hugging him and resting my forehead on his.

"Lexi, what is going on? You are having nightmares almost every night now, even with me here. You used to say I spook the nightmares away. How are you sleeping when I am not here?"

I reluctantly look down, and he gently grabs my chin to bring my face up while moving a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I am worried about your lack of sleep. You need to rest," Isaac says while I nod shyly into his chest.

I see Isaac less and less the next few days as he is always busy with all the werewolf's business, so I give him space. I am pretty busy myself with work, school, and music. And trying to manage my nerves related to the anonymous notes I am getting. I haven't got anything since the "soon" one, so I am guessing the definition of the term soon implies different things for different people.

The Sheriff promised to look into it and encouraged me to mention it to Jessi, but she already has enough in her mind with the diner business. I won't bug her with this. I can handle it.

MySunshine: Hey angel, hope you are OK. I am missing school today, hanging out with Boyd. We need to do something at Derek's place.

MyAngel: OK, you two, stay safe. Love you! When you guys are done, stop by the diner. Tell Boyd I will have his milkshake ready for him tonight.

MySunshine: Will do. XOXO

I heard the little bell on the door that night and got excited, thinking my two boys were back.

"So, my two favorite big bad wolves are ready for their treat," the moment I say that, I notice Isaac is alone with teary eyes. He didn't have to tell me; his face said it all.