5

A soft groan escapes her lips as bright white light pierces through her eyelids that only moments before had held darkness. She slowly blinks her eyes open, the light nearly blinding as the last dregs of sleep weigh heavy in her mind. After a few minutes, she can make out the shape of two medical lamps positioned over her. She focuses past the lamps and the dull gray of the ceiling tiles fall into her line of sight.

Her heart pounds once she realizes she doesn't have any idea of where she is and the beep of a machine echoes her heartbeat back to her ears, the quiet ticking of a clock barely heard behind it. Her hands grip some kind of cloth, stiff between her fingers as she pulls herself up to a sitting position. The sudden smell of antiseptics meeting her nose makes her dizzy. Once the world stops spinning around her, she finally looks around at her surroundings.

Cabinets and medical equipment line the walls all around her. A glimpse of movement in the otherwise still room makes her turn her head to a window. Upon seeing a row of clipboards resting upon chairs, a sickening feeling in the pit of her gut alerts her to the fact that she's laying on a table in the middle of an operating room. Her heart pounds faster as she realizes she's wearing nothing but a medical gown and a chill goes up her spine as if she's being watched.

Her eyes scans the room looking for any means of escape and she breathes a sigh of relief to see a double door leading out. She throws her legs off the side of the table and her feet lands with a thud on the freezing cold floor. She pulls the tubes from her arms and pinches close the gown behind her, sprinting towards the door.

Swinging the door open she screams, feeling an sharp blade sliding deeply into the midsection of her stomach. Staring down at the white colored tile floor that is now spotted with red dots because of her blood leaking through her wound, Mia inhales a sharp gasp, lifting her head up, meeting face to face with the masked killer standing before her, twisting the knife in satisfaction.

Ghost face pulls the knife out of her stomach and she tumbles backwards, covering the bloody wound with a palm as the midsection of the gown dampens. Falling down on the ground Mia lies down on her back, eyes wide in fear as the killer trudges towards her then climbs on top of her raising the weapon above their head.

She reaches one hand out and takes off the mask.

Her eyes widen as she stares back at herself wearing the costume, holding the bloody knife in one hand. "There's a darkness in you that loves to kill. It's in your blood!"

"What happens next?" A psychiatric nurse by the name of Dr. Claudia Sinclair, the pale skin wrinkle gray haired woman that's in her early seventies asks her patient who's sitting across from her on a sofa reading a handwritten paper with shaky hands.

The patient doesn't respond.

"Mia?"

The traumatized teenage girl that was discharged just days ago from the hospital after having a panic attack looks up at the therapist with a emotionless look on her face.

"I woke up screaming two 'o clock in the morning." Mia crumbles the paper in her hand, exhaling a long breath.

With a dark blue pen, Dr. Sinclair scribbles down words on an important document inside a folder that has the patient's photo ID stapled to it. "How often are you having these dreams?" She crosses her thin legs, continuing to write.

Mia mumbles "too often," then sighs deeply. "My nightmares had become so bad that I be too afraid to fall asleep or be alone in the dark for long periods of time."