16. Proof

Max skated towards the blue Camaro where Billy was waiting for her.

"That kid you were talking to" Billy asked as she finally reached the car. "who is he?"

"He's no one" Max said.

"No one?"

"Just a kid from my class" Max stepped into the passenger's seat.

"And the brat with curly hair?" Billy lit a cigarette as he sat in the driver's seat.

"Aiden?" Max asked. "He was kinda caught in the middle of it"

"Aiden?" Billy chuckled. "So the little shit has a name now?"

"He's really not that bad" Max said.

"They seem to be causing you trouble" Billy said,still looking ahead.

"Why do you care?" Max looked at him.

"Because Max," Billy said. "You're a piece of shit,but we're family now, whether we like it or not. Meaning I'm stuck looking out for you"

"What would I ever do without yo-" Max raised her hands but Billy caught one of them.

"Hey!" Billy glared at his stepsister. "This serious shit,okay? I'm older than you,and something you learn is that there are certain types of people you stay away from... And those two kids, Max... Those two are good examples of those kinds of people. They'll only get you in trouble"

Max wanted to pull her arm away,but found herself too scared to move. It was always this way with Billy

"So stay away from them,you hear me? Stay away" Billy finished, pushing her arm down and starting the car's engine.

Max held her arm and tried to keep herself from crying as much as she could. Looking outside,she could still vaguely see the familiar curly hair in the distance as Aiden walked away with Lucas. As Billy drove away,she tried to remind herself that she'd meet Aiden and Melanie at the arcade tomorrow.

______________________________

"Alright, I'm heading out" Aiden put on his flannel over a grey t-shirt. 

"You sure you don't need someone to go with you?" Nancy asked. "What if someone sees you?"

"It's outside the town, Nance" Aiden looked at her.

"That's why I'm worried" Nancy said as she watched Aiden put his sneakers on while they sat in the boy's bedroom. "Will and Barb are already acting weird as it is. I don't need anything happening to you too... What if you have another episode out there?"

"Not likely," Aiden shook his head. "besides, I wasn't in the Upside Down.. Barb and Will had direct contact so we should be more worried about them. How's she doing?"

"Much like Will..." Nancy sighed. "She seems almost hypnotized sometimes. She seems scared of heat now and she keep saying she has memories,but–"

"... They're not hers" Aiden finished. Nancy nodded at him. "Will said the same thing"

"Does that mean they're both possessed by it... The monster you saw?" Nancy asked.

Aiden knew he couldn't hide the truth from Nancy of all people. "It's the only explanation.. I heard her scream when we had the last episode. That's when my Rasengan gave out"

Nancy sighed. "Okay... We'll fix all this,I promise. You get your powers back in order, I'll get evidence against the lab"

Aiden stood up and grabbed his backpack. "Good luck, sis"

Nancy ruffled his hair. "don't get kidnapped... And you better be back in two hours"

"Hey,hey! easy on my hair!" Aiden groaned, causing Nancy to smile.