46. I'll Stay Awake

"what? Surprised to see me?"

Aiden took two steps back, feeling his heart rate increase as his eyes were fixated on the boy in front of him. His childhood best friend.. right in front of him. He was in so much shock that his mind forgot to register that this was an illusion.

It looked so real... He looked so damn real.

"Kyle..."

"So you remember me..." Kyle said. "That's funny cause I don't even remember you trying to find me"

"You know that's not true, man" Aiden shook his head. "You know how much I wanted to save you"

"Did you?" Kyle stepped closer to him. "Did you pick up all those times when I tried to call? Did you get out of the house or run to the bridge fast enough? You could've... But you didn't. You let me fall, Aiden. You watched me drown. You could've dove in after me,but you just let me fall and drown. You heard me thrashing... My muffled screams,yet all you did was stand,watch and shed your little crocodile tears"

"That is absolute bullshit, nigga! You know how much I miss you!" Aiden screamed back. It was the first time he'd ever used that slur but he was purely sad and frustrated as tears streamed down his eyes. "Do you think a day goes by when I don't think about you?! Huh?! I was dazed after you jumped.. yeah, I didn't pick up those calls cause I was busy getting my emotions killed by my dad! Yes, I was scared okay? I was scared we'd both drown if I jumped in to save you. I let my fear of drowning keep me still. I watched the only person who I could call my friend die right in front of me"

"Aiden's voice cracked as he continued. "But do you really think I don't regret it... That I was too much of a coward to save my best friend? That I was too much of a coward to save Billy...? Do you think I don't regret that?! Well I do! I wish I could change everything"

"Sadly,you can't" Kyle said,green eyes seemingly devoid of life. "I'm dead and it's your fault"

"Yeah,you are..." Aiden said, tear stains on his cheeks. "But you're also not real... My best friend would never say this... "

Aiden was suddenly sent flying. Once he landed with a thud, he looked back up to see Vecna staring down at him.

"You are smarter than most Aiden" Vecna complimented. "Smart enough to see through what most cannot. But unfortunately even future sight can't help you"

As Aiden lay there, about to move,he noticed a hue of red lightning in the distance.

Max...

"Wait a damn minute," Aiden grunted. "If you're with me,then that means..."

Aiden scrambled to his feet, maintaining eye contact with Vecna as he wondered if his powers could work in here.

The mutated man had eyes on him like he was studying him, waiting for him to move. Aiden likewise kept his eyes on Vecna and noticed something; the man was about to move his hand the slightest bit and Aiden automatically knew something was about to happen.

The let out a small breath before teleporting out of Vecna's sight, milliseconds before a vine could wrap around his leg.

Vecna growled as he wondered how the boy had escaped him and more importantly,where he was.

Gale Palm

The next thing Vecna felt was an abnormally strong gust of wind knocking him several feet away into the darkened landscape.

Once he'd landed,he looked up just in time to see Aiden disappear.

That chakra energy was proving far too troublesome for him.