21. Diversion

Back in the house, everyone tried cleaning the glass while Dustin and Steve tried shoving the dead Demodog inside the fridge as Dustin believed they needed to preserve it for "research". Aiden had deactivated Sage Mode to save as much nature energy as he could for when they'd get to the tunnels,but Steve was having none of it.

"You're not going back out there" Steve said. "Your shoulder is still basically a raw piece of meat right now,and you wanna go into a tunnel that's full of those things?!"

"Yeah, pretty much," Aiden nodded.

"How does Nancy deal with you?" Steve sighed.

"If we go to the exact spot where the Chief dug the hole," Mike pointed at a spot on the map. "That's our way into the tunnels"

"And this..." He continued, moving to another spot on the map. "This is like the hub, where all the tunnels meet... So if Aiden can blast this with his fire release..."

"That's a no," Steve interrupted.

"The mind flayer would call the army to come stop us," Aiden said, ignoring Steve.

"Then we circle back to the exit," Mike said.

"Hey" Steve called.

"So by the time they realise we're gone..." Melanie picked up on the plan.

"El would be at the gate," Max finished.

"Hey,hey hey!" Steve clapped his hands. "this is not happening"

"But-"

"No,no no no no!" Steve said. "I promised I'd keep you shitheads safe and that's exactly what I plan to do. I don't know why the Chief agreed to let Chakra boy do this,but it's not happening"

"I appreciate the effort to keep me safe, Mama Steve," Aiden shook his head. "But do you really think they'd even make it that far with all those Demodogs in there? I'll tell you right now,not even El can handle all that alone"

"We're staying here,on the bench and we'll wait for the starting team to do their job" Steve said, pointing at all the kids. "Does everyone understand?"

"This isn't a stupid sports game," Mike said.

"I said, does everyone understand?" Steve looked around. "I need a yes"

A roaring engine could be heard close by.. then it suddenly hit Aiden as he recognized the sound.

"Shit,of all the times..." Aiden whispered as Max and Melanie ran to the window to see.

"It's my brother" she looked back at Aiden. "He can't know I'm here. He'll kill me.. he'll kill us"

"Why is he always so cranky?" Melanie asked.

"You get used to it," Max replied. "kinda"

"Might wanna get away from the windows,then" Aiden said before everyone crouched down. "Not what I meant"

"Stay here," Steve said before going outside.

Aiden decided not to fight it and just went over to them by the windows. The moment Max felt the light-skin boy next to her,she reached for his hand. This time he was fully aware of it but didn't make any move to protest, instead gently squeezing her hand.

"What do you think's going on?" Mel asked.

"I can't tell..." Max said, standing up.

"No, don't–" Max, Lucas, Dustin and Melanie stood up to look before Aiden could finish the sentence.

"Why do I even bother?" He shook his head and sighed.

Soon enough,they all crouched back down in panic.