38. And Now I Just Sit In Silence

Aiden opened his eyes and was met with light... White light.

'Well that was one hell of a way to go out'

Aiden soon blinked and realised he could hear.

Beeping.

'So I guess I'm not dead...'

He'd anticipated that fire release technique would most likely be his last one, seeing as it came at the expense of his whole chakra reserve. And since he'd already told the whole party he loved them,he didn't really overthink it this time. Though he did have a small fragment of hope that he'd survive.

He turned his head to the side and saw a couple of familiar people.

"Mom... And Nancy?"

The Wheeler ladies snapped their heads up at his low voice.

"Aiden!"

Karen got off the chair and immediately pulled the boy into a hug. "We were so worried!"

"You can say that again" Nancy folded her arms in mock annoyance, but Aiden seemed to see the relief in her eyes.

Karen pulled away and placed a kiss on the boy's forehead. "How do you feel?"

"Still really tired..." Aiden managed to let out.

"Here" Nancy handed him a cup of water. The boy took a single sip which did wonders for his throat. He soon noticed that his leg felt better, almost numb but he could move it around.

"How long was I out?" Aiden asked.

"About twelve hours" Nancy sat by his bed.

"I got here as quickly as I heard about the mall fire, '' Karen said. Aiden frowned; he didn't think Karen would even find out about this,but of course it was a small town and the news spread fast. He felt bad for putting her through all that worry.

"I'm sorry" he shook his head, reaching over to wipe the woman's tears. "I didn't mean to make you scared like that"

"It's okay,honey," Karen said with a smile. "You're awake and that's all that matters"

Then the most important question suddenly hit him.

"Nancy..." He looked at the older girl. "How's Billy?"

Nancy's breath hitched at the name and she looked at her brother's expectant brown eyes. She couldn't break his heart,but she couldn't lie to him either.

The older Wheeler shook her head, sending a non verbal yet very clear message to him.

He didn't make it.

"What... What happened?" Aiden asked, feeling a chill creep up his body. "How?"

Suddenly the door opened and a redhead walked through it,her eyes red and puffy. Seeing him awake seemed to make her shed a new set of tears as she practically ran into his arms, sobbing quietly.

"He's gone, Aiden" Max choked out.

His heart ached as Max's body shook. This was the thing that he'd been trying so hard to stop. What happened? He'd stopped Billy from being impaled,he was sure of that. Despite the many questions that flooded his mind, Aiden knew better than to say anything.. he just needed to hold her.

The whole thing was just surreal to him.

"He said to tell you thank you..." Max managed to whisper once she'd seemed to have stopped crying. Aiden nodded as he stroked his girlfriend's hair comfortingly.

"I'm sorry, Max... I'm really sorry" Aiden whispered back to her. All his efforts seemed to be wasted as Billy was still taken from him.

Karen stood up and decided to let the kids have privacy, placing a kiss on Aiden's cheek before leaving.