003. 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘶𝘮

After a week of allowing Erskine to continue his testing on Freya's physique, he told her that the serum was finally complete

After a week of allowing Erskine to continue his testing on Freya's physique, he told her that the serum was finally complete. And with the help of Howard Stark, they'd be able to go through with the experiment.

Walking with Erskine through the base, he informed Colonel Philips of his decision. Philips, and others, still weren't sure of Steve being the right man for the job.

"You're not really thinking about picking Rogers, are you?" Philips asked.

"I'm more than just thinking about it. He is the clear choice" Erskine said.

"When you brought a 90-pound asthmatic and bulletproof wonder woman from outer space onto my army base, I let it slide. I thought, what the hell" Philips said.

"My name is Freya. Not wonder woman" she corrected, not understanding sarcasm. Colonel Philips just looked at her and gave her a blank stare.

"Right. But I never thought you'd pick him" he said as they walked over to the men who were in the middle of training with Agent Carter.

"You stick a needle in that kid's arm, it's gonna go right through him," Philips said, watching Steve struggle to do jumping jacks. "Look at that. He's making me cry."

"If I may-"

"Oh of course" Philips sighed.

"It is not just physical strength that makes a good soldier. I have led many an army into battle and I've found that it is one's emotional intelligence that helps them win" Freya said.

Philips looked at her like she was crazy before looking back at Erskine. "Do you know how long it took to set up this project? All the groveling I had to do in front of Senator what's his name's committees?"

"Brandt. Yes, I know. I am well aware of your efforts" Erskine said.

"Then throw me a bone. Hodge passed every test we gave him. He's big, he's fast. He obeys orders. He's a soldier" Philips said.

"He's a bully," Eskrine said.

"You don't win wars with niceness, Doctor" Philips said, grabbing something from the back of the truck. "You win wars with guts."

"Grenade!" he shouted, throwing the object unfamiliar to Freya into the group of men.

Immediately they began to scatter and Freya assumed the device was meant to blow up but it never did. Nevertheless, while everyone else ducked for cover, Steve ran towards it, covering it with his body.

"Get away!" he shouted. "Get back!"

He winced, waiting anxiously for the explosion that never came. Sitting up, he realized it was another test.

"It was a dummy grenade" another officer shouted. "All clear. Back in formation."

Erskine smiled, proud of his choice for the experiment while Freya knew Steve would do the right thing all along.