014. 𝑏𝑖𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑖𝑠

Alexander Pierce was not who he said he was

Alexander Pierce was not who he said he was. At least that's the feeling Freya got when she first laid eyes on him. She couldn't pinpoint what it was about him but she knew he couldn't be trusted.

Perhaps it was the way he looked at her, not in the way that some men looked at her, that she was unfortunately used to. Pierce looked at her like she was a weapon, something to be controlled. Like he missed the days when S.H.I.E.L.D. still had her locked in the basement.

"Oh, Captain. I'm Alexander Pierce" he said, shaking Steve's hand.

"Sir, it's an honor" Steve replied.

"The honor's mine, Captain. My father served in the 101st" he said before turning to Freya. "Ah, the Goddess of Love and War. I don't know whether to shake your hand or bow."

"You should do neither," she told him.

Pierce just smiled at her in a way that made her want to punch him in the face. "Come on in," he said, leading them inside. Steve spotted a picture on his desk of Pierce and Fury before Fury lost his eye.

"That photo was taken five years after Nick and I met when I was at State Department in Bogota. E.L.N rebels took the embassy, and security got me out, but the rebels took hostages. Nick was Deputy Chief of the S.H.I.E.L.D. station there and he comes to me with a plan. He wants to storm the building through the sewers. I said, no we'll negotiate. Turned out the E.L.N. didn't negotiate, so they put out a kill order. They storm the basement and what do they find? They find it empty" Pierce told them as they all sat down.

"Nick had ignored my direct order and carried out an unauthorized military operation on foreign soil, and saved the lives of a dozen political officers, including my daughter," he said.

"So you gave him a promotion?" Steve asked.

"I've never had any cause to regret it," Pierce said. "Captain, why was Nick in your apartment last night?"

Steve shook his head. "I don't know."

"Did you know it was bugged?" Pierce asked.

"I did, because Nick told me," Steve said.

"Did he tell you he was the one who bugged it?" Pierce asked.

"Why would he do that?" Freya asked. Pierce looked over at her like he was annoyed to hear her speaking.

"Well, Freya, I don't know how you do things up on Asgard but here on Earth, we don't like secrets," he said.

"I've spent quite a lot of time on this realm, I have a very good understanding of how you do things," she said, narrowing her eyes at him.

"Then you should know it took quite a bit of convincing on my part not to have charged for your part in what took place in New York," he said.

"My actions were not my own," she told him.