006. 𝘵𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘨𝘰𝘭𝘥

By the time Steve, Freya, Bucky, and the rest of the men they saved marched back into camp, it had been a little over a week

While they managed to bring back a few of Hydra's tanks, most of them had to walk since unfortunately for Freya, none of them could fly.

While she was more than happy about all the lives they saved, all she could think about was her own personal failure. Of how she had Schmidt, right there in her hands but let him go.

She had been on Midgard for a few months now and still was no closer to the tesseract than she first was. Standing off to the side, she watched as the men at the base cheered seeing their fellow soldiers return.

"Some of these men need medical attention," Steve said as Colonel Philips walked up to him. "I'd like to surrender myself for disciplinary action."

"That won't be necessary," Philips told him.

"Hey! Let's hear it for Captain America!" Bucky shouted. Freya watched with a sad smile as everyone cheered and clapped. It was praise that Steve deserved and she was proud of him for it.

It didn't change the fact that she still believed herself to be a failure in her own right.

Steve smiled at the praise but looked around for the one person he wanted to share it with. Seeing Freya walking off into the trees surrounding the camp, he quickly excused himself and followed after her.

Finding her slumped against a tree, her eyes closed and a distressed look on her face, he approached her slowly.

"You know, for someone who just helped save hundreds of lives, you don't seem very happy," he said.

Freya opened her eyes, forcing a small smile on her face. "I'm more than happy that they're all okay. You should be out there celebrating. This was a huge victory for you" she told him.

"It was for you too. I couldn't have gotten them all out without your help" he said.

"I know. But-"

"The Tesseract. I know. But we found him once, we can find him again" Steve told her.

"Will we? Steve, I know that it seems like we're fighting the same battles but we're fighting a different war. And while it's imperative that you win, defeat Hydra. I need to get the tesseract off this planet or all the good you doing here will be for nothing" she sighed.

"I know. I know" he said, walking closer. "But you don't have to do that alone. I can help you. I want to help you."

"I don't want you to get hurt because of me," she told him, thinking back to her last battle in Hel and how horribly it ended.

"I won't. You don't have to worry about me" he told her.

Freya closed her eyes. Wishing his words were true. That she didn't have to worry about him or anyone else. But she did. She always did. That was her job, it was her life.