013. 𝑐𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑟𝑖𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒𝑑

"Why do we have to wear these?" Freya asked as Steve tugged the baseball cap over her head

"It's a disguise. So no one will notice us" Steve said.

"But they're just hats," Freya said.

"Well yeah, but they... it's inconspicuous" he said, leading her inside the Smithsonian.

Seeing the large entrance to the Captain America exhibit, Freya gasped at the sheer scale of it all. There was a man's voice in the background, narrating information that was written on the walls.

"Your people have built a temple dedicated to you," she said, her eyes not knowing where to look first as she stood and spun around in a circle.

"It's not a temple. It's just a museum exhibit" he said.

"You shouldn't be so modest, Steve. They think of you as a living legend. A symbol of courage" she said.

Steve's cheek turned pink as he looked down at his shoes, his hands tucked into his pockets. "Well, um, thank you. But I don't know if I'd go that far" he said.

"That's what it says on the wall over there," she said, pointing at it.

Steve turned around, embarrassed as he realized she was just reading the plaque on the wall. "Oh. Right."

Seeing a small section in the corner with video footage of her time helping Steve, Freya gasped as she rushed over. "It's me!"

Steve smiled at how much excitement she had, more than any of the children around them had. He walked over, watching the video as it played.

"Do you miss it?" she asked.

"The war?" he asked.

"No" she laughed. "I just mean...the past. Your life before you went in the ice."

"I did," he said. "When I woke up, I thought everything was gone. That everyone I cared about was gone."

"What changed?" she asked.

"I found you again," he said.

Freya turned away from him as a smile grew on her face and she felt heat rising in her cheeks. Steve didn't say anything but he could see the redness in her cheeks even as she hid behind her hair.

Hearing the next part of the narration start they both turned with sad eyes as they saw what the next display was.

"Best friends since childhood, Bucky Barnes and Steve Rogers were inseparable on both schoolyard and battlefield. Barnes is the only Howling Commando to give his life in service of his country."

Freya took Steve's hand in her. "I'm sorry," she said.

Steve shook his head. "It's not your fault."

"I wanted so badly to save him," she said.