17 - fixed?

"i can't... i just can't bear this shit anymore."

a dilapidated handbag flew across the grimy bar top and landed with a thud against Mac's chest. he groaned in protest and pushed it to the other side, eyes wandering curiously to the disheveled woman making her way from the doorway. "what shit are we talkin' about here?"

Y/n walked tiredly to the bar, collapsing into one of the many barstools in her sulk. "everything- this, this goddamn heatwave, i mean- i thought a wave was like, a short thing, no? jesus, how longs it even been goin' on now?"

"s'gotta be like..." a puff of air pushed through Charlie's pursed lips as he thought. "...a while at least."

Y/n flashed the man a roll of her eyes, hand moving to rest on her sweaty brow. "and, guess what? as well as my air conditioning being fucked, my goddamn showers also decided to kill itself." she slammed a hand onto the wooden countertop, prompting Frank to wake from his once peaceful slumber. "what does the universe have against me?!"

"i could totally fix those for ya, no problem!" Mac proudly puffed his chest out. Y/n turned her blank stare to the man, eyebrow raised in slight amusement. "yeah, mac, i bet you could alright.."

"i could!"

"sorry, Mac, but this sounds like a man's job and well..." Dennis gestured to himself smugly. "i mean, ya couldn't ask for a better example."

"you just want to get inside my apartment."

"a man can do two things, Y/n," he stated with a simple shrug, lips quirking to a sickly smirk. "and he can do 'em well."

"not in my apartment he can't."

"ooh, i'm a man too!" Charlie piped up from the other end of the bar, eyes wide and erratic. Dennis' eyes rolled, almost audibly within his thick skull. "well, that's debatable..."

"okay but, don't you need to have qualifications for this kinda thing... like uh, a plumber, or an electrician maybe?" Dee's eyes flicked between all three men. "and, do you guys have any qualifications?"

"shut up, bird!" Charlie's loud voice echoed from the other side of the room, receiving a chorus of laughter from all men in the room. Y/n sighed. "i'll take that as a no then."

her head leaned back against the chair, hand running through bedraggled hair. well... i mean, they could hardly make it any worse... right?
___
wrong. oh, she was so wrong. why she'd even thought they could do good in the first place was completely beyond her.

Dennis was sat reclined on her old worn couch, cool beer in hand and watching 'The Real Housewives" of somewhere or another on her tv, Mac was perched on a chair next to the fried A/C unit with nothing more than a hammer in his hesitant hand, and Charlie was stationed in her broken shower, honestly just... just ripping shit apart. christ, she was a stupid, stupid woman.

"Mac, seriously, i don't think-" she repeated for the third time, only to be cut off once again.

"Y/n, i've got this, i mean, it's basically fixed so... just gimme another five minutes and it'll be good as new!" Mac grinned and gave the unit a harsh pound of the hammer. "alright?"

the woman didn't as much as acknowledge the man with a response, and instead, head in hands, made her way to the bathroom where yet more discerning clatters could be heard bouncing off the close tiled walls.