~ XIII ~

Blake

Sitting on my ass on the concrete floor in a corner between a wall and a tumble dryer, I drew my knees to my chest and sighed again, leaning my head back so that it rested against the hard brick behind me.

I looked up, noticing the weird stains on the ceiling and cracks in the paint and sighed.

I didn't know what to do.

Here I was, stuck in the basement of the apartment building where Cameron lived because it was daytime and I couldn't go outside.

How fucking pathetic.

Down here, the air conditioning wasn't working and the heat of the day was seeping through the brick walls, warming up the large room full of washing machines and tumble dryers, sinks and drying boards, as well as cupboards stocked with detergent, fabric softener and cleaning products.

It actually smelled quite floral down here, just like the detergent in the cupboard. I could also catch the scent of the residents in this building. Some were stronger than others; the stronger ones being the people who'd used this room recently, completely unaware that I was hiding in the corner.

I couldn't detect Cameron's scent. I wonder when his laundry day was?

I knew he was in his apartment. I'd left Zach asleep in his bed, knowing that he'd wake up today with the hangover from hell and no memory of me at all. Then, I'd hung around near the docks, waiting for Cameron to finish his shift. I had wanted to get a little closer to the gatehouse, but after he'd caught me earlier last night in the warehouse, I didn't want him to start getting too suspicious of me and call the police.

After kicking my heels for a few hours, I spotted him walking along the street, head down, hands in pockets and I'd followed him, keeping a good distance between us, and trying to work out if he knew I was here. He did keep lifting his head, slowing his steps, almost as if he was fighting the urge to look over his shoulder.

I had hoped he was.

Using my vampire speed, I'd raced into the building as soon as he'd opened the main door and then hid around the corner to watch as he pressed the elevator's call button and disappeared inside it.

I wanted to follow him to his apartment, but I didn't know which floor he lived on. The elevator in this building didn't have a digital display like most elevators, so, unless I checked every single apartment in this building, I was going to have to wait for him to invite me in.

I suppose I could ask him, then wipe his memory, but I didn't want to have to do that with him. I wanted him to keep every memory of me. Even the dodgy one from last night.

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair. I was truly fucked.

A buzzing sound from my pocket told me that my phone was ringing. Since sitting in this basement, I'd turned the sound off. I didn't want to advertise my whereabouts too much.

Reaching into the pockets of the same jeans I wore last night, I grabbed my phone and checked the caller display.

My mother.

Rolling my eyes, I pressed the button and held the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" My voice was just above a whisper.

"Blake?" My mother's voice came through loud and clear. I flinched. "Where are you? The sun's out and it's very hot today. Are you somewhere safe?"

"Yes, Mom." Of course I was. I mean, if I was out in the sun, I'd be a pile of dust by now, scattered about in the wind.

"Where are you?" Concern laced her voice as she repeated her question.

"I'm in an apartment building in the city." I didn't feel like I could tell her which one. I felt stupid, hiding like this.