4;

The time Esther had her first kiss.

A year and a bit later, Esther and I were the best of friends. At 15 we were going through all of the awkward stages teenage life could throw at us together.

I had just thrown a t-shirt on when Esther came bounding into my room like an excited Labrador. Over the past year or so Esther had really changed, maybe I had too - I don't know.

She was out of her shell completely, her hair styled, her clothes form fitting. She was a lot more confident and we'd even gotten into a new group of friends which she fitted in with. It was nice to see Esther at her happiest.

"So, you will never guess what just happened,"

I didn't even think about how she got in, mum or Gemma must have let her up, they were pretty used to it by now. But it was a Saturday afternoon and she hadn't even text me first.

"Um, shall I guess or.."

Esther rolls her eyes. "It happened,"

I blink. "What happened?"

"My first kiss!" She squeals excitedly.

I tried to look as if I was happy for her, but I couldn't help but feel a pang in my chest. I wasn't her first kiss.

Esther and I are great friends, the best of friends. But the crush I had developed and I couldn't help these feelings.

"You.."

"Kyle asked me on a date, I said yes and he kissed me."

I could tell Esther was over the moon about this, but the second I heard Kyle's name I knew something was wrong.

Kyle was once a nobody, but he went away one summer and came back completely different. This boosted him into the 'popular' kids group, the girls flock to him, the boys salute him.

Which is why I find it fishy that he would ask Esther on a date.

No, I don't mean that to offend Esther - she's gorgeous, but she's not his type.

"I don't know what you're supposed to say about first kisses," I scratch my head awkwardly.

Esther lays on my bed on her front. "He said I have beautiful eyes,"

"You do," I smile.

She throws a pillow at me. "I feel all mushy,"

I throw the pillow back. "Are you hungry?"

She stands and checks her make-up, that's a new thing Esther's recently gotten into. It's not something I dislike but, natural Esther is my favourite.

"Let's go get food," She smiles.

. . .

Monday mornings weren't my favourite but I made sure to arrive to school a little earlier just so I could catch Kyle before he headed inside.

He was stood by English block where I suspected he'd be, I give my old 'friends' a small nod before asking to speak to Kyle alone for a minute.

"Look if you're here to talk about football-"

"I don't care about football," I cut him off. "You kissed Esther,"

Instantly his face changes into a smirk. "Jealous are we Styles?"

"Why did you ask her on a date," It was more of a demand than a question.

He scoffs. "Chill out Styles, it was just for a bet."

My face immediately changes, my heart beating fast. "What?"

Kyle shrugs. "The lads bet I couldn't get her to go on a date with me, I told them I could and I did. The kiss was worth-" I pin him up against the wall, his breathing restricted. He tries to get free but we both know I'm stronger.

"Listen here, you stay away from Esther, and you never ever place a bet on her again, you hear me?"

I let him free and he gasps for air. "No need to be so dramatic, Styles."

"I mean it," I point. "I am not one to fuck with Kyle,"

Kyle continues to rub his neck as I walk off to find Esther. When I do find her eventually I see her smiling away with our friends.

"..And then he just kissed me!" She explains.

I roll my eyes and sit beside Lily who instantly sees through my act. After Esther I'd say Lily is my best friend. She's one of the guys to me, she's a tom boy, lover of rugby and converse, and the most trustworthy - after Esther.

"What's going on?" She whispers quietly. "Why are you out of breath?"

"I found Kyle," I whisper back. "He kissed Esther for a bet,"

Lily's mouth drops and I look over to Esther who is oblivious, still talking as animatedly as before.

"Don't tell anyone," I whisper.

Lily slyly holds out her pinky finger under the table and I link mine with hers.

"What's this?" Shawn smirks looking at our fingers linking.

"Piss off Shawn," Lily spits.

I knew Shawn had a huge crush on Lily, but she was either oblivious or genuinely repulsed by him. But Lily is repulsed by everyone so there isn't really a difference.

. . .

"Hey you, you've been quiet all day, what's up?" I left school the second the bell went not bothering to wait, but as i expected Esther caught up with me half way down the road.

"Nothing," I shrug. "Just don't feel like myself today,"

"I've hardly seen you."

I smile. "Yeah,"

Esther pouts for a second as we walk in silence. "Is it something I've done?"

I shake my head. "You haven't done anything, I'm just a little off."

Esther sighs. "How about we get icecream?"

I shake my head again. "I'm just going to head home and get some sleep..if that's okay,"

Esther nods and we head in different directions as we cross the road. "I'll see you around then," I hear her call out.

And although I wanted to turn around and reply, I couldn't bring myself to do it.