9;

The time Esther came to a live show.

I was extra, extra nervous tonight. Esther had finally got round to coming down to London for the X Factor love show. She was now in college and enjoying it, she'd phone me a few nights during the week to fill me in, and also tell me about her amazing boyfriend Anthony.

I was just about to go on stage when I got a text;

Es: Good luck! We're sat behind Simon Cowell.. how cool is that!? You'll do great xxx

Me: We?

Es: Me and Anthony! Your mums here too with Gem, had a nice catch up xxx

Me: okay

She had brought him, the guy she was quite smitten with. I'd never met him, whether this was intentional or not on my part I couldn't say.

We performed but I didn't feel like i'd put my all into it, I caught a glimpse of Esther and Anthony for a few seconds and it made me feel sick, it ruined my mood, I couldn't wait to just get off stage.

"You were amazing!" My mum smiles hugging me close, she kisses my cheek before I hug Gemma. When they move on to the boys I hug Esther.

"You were so good," Esther grins. She looks up at her boyfriend and I feel my heart sink. "This is Harry, my best friend in the whole world,"

Usually those words would make me feel on top of the world, secure, happy. But right now.. right now, it gave me nothing but sadness.

"Great to meet you." I shake his hand.

"You too, I've heard lots." He replies, he wasn't anything special, but he obviously was to Esther and I had to respect that.

"Weren't you nervous up there?" Esther breathes.

I nod. "Very,"

"I couldn't tell, you looked really confident."

I smile. "Thanks,"

"I'm so proud of you, I reckon you'll get straight through tomorrow,"

I shrug. "I guess,"

. . .

We went out for food even though it was late but Esther was heading back home early tomorrow morning so I wanted to spend as much time as possible with her, but this wasn't going to happen.

Anthony also came along.

"So you're at college?" I ask sipping my drink, I didn't have an appetite.

"Yeah, I'm doing sports."

I nod.

"He's a great rugby player," Esther swoons, they were sat opposite me - her arm linked with his. I'd never seen her like this before and it was hard, it was hard to watch, hard to accept.

"Oh, you play?"

He swallows. "I'm hoping to go professional,"

"He's had a lot of trials," Esther adds.

"Nice,"

"Do you play sports?"

Esther scoffs. "Harry, sports?"

I was slightly hurt by this, as if she was mocking me.

I shake my head. "I like to play football with the lads, but I'm not great,"

"Sports is not for everyone," I was sure there was a slight smirk on his face but I wasn't sure.

"Yeah,"

"But Harry's a great singer, he'll go far."

Anthony looks uninterested but Esther doesn't see it.

"You think you'll win?" He asks.

"I hope to,"

He smirks again before taking a bite into his pizza. "Want some babe?" He offers Esther a slice.

"Wow," She laughs. "Look Harry, someone who shares food."

I wasn't sure why she was acting this way, as if she was trying to prove how great he was.

I remain silent for the rest of the meal, Esther and Anthony talk amongst themselves as I try to get at least something in my stomach.

. . .

The car takes us back to the house, I keep the door open waiting for Esther but she doesn't get out.

"I'm staying at the hotel with Anthony,"

I blink. "Can I talk to you a minute?"

She nods kissing Anthony before jumping out of the car. I close the door and walk a little down the road so he couldn't hear.

"You're staying in his hotel room?"

She shrugs as if it isn't a big deal. "Yeah,"

"I thought you'd stay with me, I hardly see you as it is,"

"But I leave early tomorrow so you wouldn't see me anyway." She was genuinely confused.

"But," I couldn't describe or explain how I felt.

"You don't like him, do you?"

I huff.

"Just tell me Harry,"

"I,"

"You know what? I don't care, I don't care. I like him. Your opinion doesn't matter to me," She scoffs beginning to walk off.

"We're best friends, I'm supposed to be your number one guy,"

She stops, turning round. "You're threatened, jealous?" The smirk on her face hurt. "Harry, grow the fuck up. Open your eyes, we're not kids anymore."

She begins to walk off again.

"Some best friend." I call. "When it goes wrong, don't come running to me,"

She opens the car door and looks back at me. "I don't need you anymore Harry," She calls back. "The sooner you realise that, the happier we'll both be,"

When the car drove off I felt my heart break yet again.