10. 𝘾𝙧𝙤𝙨𝙨𝙧𝙤𝙖𝙙𝙨 𝙤𝙛 𝙏𝙧𝙪𝙨𝙩

The air in the school hallway felt heavy as Bora walked to her locker. The weight of her secret, coupled with Jake's unsettling threats, bore down on her like an insurmountable burden. She absentmindedly spun the combination lock, her mind a whirlwind of worry and anxiety.

Hana and Minji were waiting by her locker, concern etched on their faces. "Bora, you haven't been yourself lately," Hana said gently, her voice carrying a touch of worry.

"Yeah, you seem distant," Minji added, her brows furrowing in genuine concern.

Bora managed a small smile, trying to mask her turmoil. "I'm just dealing with some personal stuff. It'll pass, don't worry too much."

Hana exchanged a knowing look with Minji, but they didn't press further. Instead, they decided to lighten Bora's mood by talking about their weekend plans and the latest gossip. Bora appreciated their effort to distract her, finding solace in their light-hearted conversations.

However, as the day progressed, Bora's anxiety grew stronger. She couldn't shake the feeling that Jake's looming threat was a dark cloud that followed her every move. 

During lunch, she spotted Jungwon sitting alone at a corner table, his expression distant. Her heart ached at the sight of him, the desire to approach him warring with the fear that he might want to keep his distance too. What if her problems were pushing him away?

As the final bell rang, signaling the end of the school day, Bora walked through the now-empty halls, her footsteps echoing in the silence. She couldn't escape the unsettling feeling that something was about to unravel. With each step, her resolve solidified – she needed to face this head-on.

Bora was about to head home until Hana caught up to her. "Bora, wait. We're worried about you."

Bora offered a weak smile. "It's really nothing, Hana."

Hana's gaze held determination. "Bora, if something's bothering you, you can talk to us."

Minji joined them, her concern mirrored in her eyes. "We're here for you."

Bora hesitated, her heart torn between the desire to confide in her friends and the fear of dragging them into her mess. "I appreciate that, really. But it's complicated. I promise, I'll be okay."

When she arrived home, her mind continued to race. She knew she couldn't carry this burden alone, but the fear of the consequences of revealing her secret was almost paralyzing. She couldn't let Jake manipulate her any longer.

Bora sat at her desk, her phone in hand. She stared at it for a moment before typing out a message to Jungwon. Can we talk? She hit send, the action making her heart race even faster.

The last message she had sent to Jungwon was on April 19, 2019. She remembered that date because it was the day she realized that he had stopped responding to her messages altogether. Now, in 2023, the weight of those unanswered messages felt heavier than ever.

As she waited for a response, she gazed out her window, the fading sunlight casting warm hues across the sky. The city's skyline seemed to offer a promise of hope amidst her turmoil.

Meanwhile, in his dimly lit room, Jungwon's thoughts were consumed by Bora. He had seen the worry in her eyes, sensed the heaviness in her voice. He remembered her vulnerability from their conversation the previous night, the trust she had placed in him. He couldn't deny the growing connection between them, a connection that he couldn't shake off.

His phone buzzed, pulling him out of his reverie. He picked it up, his heart skipping a beat as he read Bora's message. Can we talk? Without hesitation, he typed out a response. Sure. Meet me at the park at 6pm.

As he hit send, he felt a mixture of anticipation and nerves. The decision to meet Bora held the weight of a pivotal moment, a chance to face their fears and uncertainties together. He knew that whatever was plaguing her was serious, and he wanted to be there for her.

╔⏤⏤⏤╝❀╚⏤⏤⏤╗

The park was a haven of tranquility, the gentle murmur of a nearby river forming a soothing backdrop to the scene. Bora and Jungwon sat on a weathered bench, their gazes fixed on the water's surface as it flowed serenely by. The air was laced with a sense of calm, a refuge from the chaos of the world beyond.

"Sometimes, the quietest rivers run the deepest, just like the thoughts we don't always share," Jungwon said, his voice carrying a contemplative tone.

Bora turned her head to look at him, her eyes bright with curiosity. The quote hung in the air, its meaning as enigmatic as the river before them. She felt an unspoken understanding between them, a connection that words couldn't fully capture.

"What do you mean by that?" she asked, her voice soft, as if afraid of shattering the delicate ambiance around them.

Jungwon turned to her, his gaze thoughtful. "Have you ever looked at a river? On the surface, it might seem calm and serene, but beneath that stillness, there's a current that runs deep, powerful, and often hidden from view."

Bora nodded, captivated by his words. "So, you're saying that there's more to things than what meets the eye?"

Jungwon's lips quirked into a half-smile, a flicker of emotion in his eyes. "Exactly. Just like people. We often keep our deepest thoughts, fears, and dreams hidden beneath the surface, away from the world."

Bora's gaze held his, a mixture of understanding and curiosity in her eyes. She had sensed that Jungwon harbored complexities beneath his cool exterior, and now he was offering her a glimpse into that uncharted territory.

"It's not easy to share those hidden depths," Jungwon continued, his voice carrying a touch of vulnerability. "But sometimes, when the right person comes along, it becomes a little easier."

Bora felt a warmth spreading through her chest, a sense of privilege that he was sharing this side of himself with her. She had always believed that there was more to Jungwon than he let on, and now his words were confirming that intuition.

As they turned their attention back to the river, its quiet flow seemed to mirror the unspoken connection between them. In that moment, amidst the tranquility of the park and the depth of their conversation, they were united by a shared understanding – that the quietest rivers and the unspoken thoughts held within could reveal the most profound truths.

╔⏤⏤⏤╝❀╚⏤⏤⏤╗

Thank you for reading! <3

Lots of love,

Emy