12. 𝘼 𝙃𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩'𝙨 𝙐𝙣𝙗𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙖𝙗𝙡𝙚 𝘾𝙝𝙤𝙞𝙘𝙚

Flashback

Bora sat by her brother Soobin's bedside in the hospital room, their lunch trays before them. The smell of sterilized air mixed with the aroma of the simple meal they were sharing. Soobin's face bore a gentle smile, despite the illness that had confined him to the hospital bed.

"Soobin," Bora began, offering him a playful grin. "You know, you've got to eat more. You're going to get scolded by the nurses if they see your food untouched."

Soobin chuckled softly, his voice weak but still filled with warmth. "I promise I'll eat more. Just trying to keep my appetite for your cooking, sis."

Bora laughed, a bittersweet melody in the air. She picked up her fork, her gaze shifting between her plate and her brother. The lunch felt like a small oasis in the midst of their challenging journey, a moment of normalcy amidst the constant medical routines.

As they ate, they talked about little things. Soobin's eyes held a spark of life, even as his body fought against his illness. Bora found comfort in their conversations, in the fact that she could still share these moments with her brother.

After they finished eating, Soobin's eyelids began to droop, exhaustion evident on his face. Bora gently placed the empty trays aside and turned her attention to him. "Rest, Soobin," she whispered, her voice a soothing lullaby. "I'll be here when you wake up."

Soobin smiled at her, his eyes already closing. "Thanks, Bora. Love you."

Tears welled up in Bora's eyes as she watched her brother drift into sleep. She reached out and brushed a strand of hair away from his forehead, her touch filled with a mix of love and sadness. She had been through this routine countless times, but each time felt just as heavy as the last.

As Soobin's breathing evened out, Bora found herself lost in thought. The weight of their situation pressed on her heart, the knowledge that her brother was suffering. She wiped away a tear that slipped down her cheek and leaned in closer, her gaze fixed on his peaceful face.

Her heart ached with a longing for a different reality, a reality where Soobin didn't have to endure this pain. Her thoughts were a chaotic whirlwind, torn between her love for her brother and the unbearable burden she carried.

With trembling hands, Bora reached for the plug that connected Soobin to the machines that were keeping him alive. She hesitated, her heart torn between the love she felt and the pain she wanted to end.

And then, her decision was made. With tears streaming down her face, she gently pulled the plug, disconnecting her brother from the machines that had become both his lifeline and his prison. The room was filled with an eerie silence, broken only by the sound of Bora's ragged breathing.

Her gaze remained fixed on her brother's still form, the weight of her choice heavy upon her. A moment later, she ran out of the room, her sobs echoing in the sterile hallway.

Finding a nurse, she collapsed into their arms, her words a mixture of desperation and grief. "He's gone. My brother... he's gone."

The nurse's face filled with sympathy as they held Bora, offering comfort in the midst of her pain. And in that moment, as the truth settled in, Bora felt a mixture of relief and guilt, a storm of emotions she would carry with her for years to come.

End of flashback