17. 𝙃𝙚𝙖𝙧𝙩𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙩 𝘾𝙤𝙣𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙨𝙖𝙩𝙞𝙤𝙣𝙨

A week had passed since Bora's hospital visit, yet the unsettling undercurrents remained. The school seemed to carry the weight of those unspoken concerns as Bora navigated her way through the hallways. 

As Bora settled into her classroom, the whispers of gossip seemed to hum in the air, creating a subtle barrier between her and the rest of the students. 

A flicker of movement diverted their attention. On instinct, they all turned to their left, where they found Jake standing, arm-in-arm with a new girl. The swift turnaround left them baffled. Just days after his breakup, he was already parading another relationship.

Unexpectedly, Miya, Jake's ex-girlfriend, approached Bora, her words genuine. "Hey, I heard about what happened. You know, that slap you gave Jake? Well, he deserved it. He cheated on me."

The connection between the two girls was profound, born from shared pain. The revelation shed light on Jake's character, providing a flicker of understanding.

- - - - - - 

During lunchtime, they retreated to the serenity of the school garden, seeking solace in the midst of uncertainty. 

"Hungry, Bora?" Hana asked, concern in her eyes.

Bora managed a weak smile. "I forgot my lunch at home."

Minji, always thoughtful, offered a portion of her own meal. "Here, you can share mine."

Bora's gaze lingered on the food, but it wasn't hunger that churned in her stomach. She shook her head at Minji's offer. "Thank you, Minji, but I'm not really hungry."

- - - - - - 

With the lunch period ending, Bora returned home. Amid the quiet of her room, she found a book that Jungwon had lent her. A smile tugged at her lips as she wiped off the dust and read a page. Deciding to return it to him, she slipped on her shoes and headed to his house.

When Bora arrived and rang the bell, she stood expectantly at the door. To her surprise, it was Jungwon's mother who answered. She bowed and greeted her politely, mentioning that she had brought back the book.

But Jungwon's mother's response was far from friendly. "Bora? Leave my son alone, you're only going to destroy his future. You crazy girl, killing her own brother.. You are no good to him." The door was closed before Bora could respond, leaving her stunned.

Tears welled up as Bora turned away from the door. She tried to hold them back, but the floodgates opened. Instead of heading home, she began to run, her footsteps echoing her heartache.

With each step, she distanced herself from the hurtful encounter. Her mind raced, unsure where to find solace. The garden they had shared laughter in seemed like a distant memory now, as she sought refuge from the storm of emotions that threatened to consume her.

As Bora continued her solitary walk, a figure emerged from the distance. It was Jungwon, holding a bag of snacks, his face etched with concern. "Bora? Why are you crying?" he asked gently.

Bora hastily wiped her tears, her voice wavering as she replied, "It's nothing, really. Don't worry about it."

Jungwon's expression remained skeptical, a mixture of worry and curiosity. She handed him the book, and he accepted it, but his eyes remained fixed on her. There was an unspoken understanding between them, a connection that had deepened over the past weeks.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asked again, his voice softer this time.

Bora offered a weak smile. "Yeah, I'll be fine. Thanks, Jungwon."