seventeen

The layers of concealer I applied this morning couldn't hide the fact that I clearly had no sleep

The layers of concealer I applied this morning couldn't hide the fact that I clearly had no sleep. Mr. Pierce commented on my appearance, wondering why I looked more deceased than usual.

The full night was spent twisting and turning, my mind playing out the possibilities that could happen since my sperm donor is back. Will we see him again? Will Rosa, despite my words, try to reconnect with him? Will Evie give him another chance? Those questions kept me awake, along with the five cigarettes I smoked.

It would be a miracle if I lived past the age of forty.

I can't stop thinking about the threatening look in his eyes all day, causing my attention to drift from the various customers I've come across today. Alejandro would glance at me a few times, a brow raised at my unusual carelessness. I didn't pay any mind to him, simply carrying on as if I wasn't about to get screamed at by a customer for not listening to him.

My father passed down his rage to me; I was far too close to grabbing a pen and shoving it into the man's vocal chords. I've also had to control myself from completely snapping at Claire when she'd question why I was so off. My stress, or any negative emotion I'm feeling, always comes out in the form of anger.

Even now, when I have to greet Levi's dad, I can't bring myself to properly pay attention to their words. "Adeline, it's lovely to see you again," he says, taking his hand in mine and giving it a light shake.

I force a smile onto my face, trying not to rip my hand out of his grip at the touch. "Lovely to see you too, Mr. Cheong."

Levi is like his dad; a ray of sunshine with a smile always bracing his face. He's a bit shorter than Levi, standing at around 6'1. He doesn't look a day over 30, despite most likely being in his 40s. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the one to teach Levi to care for his skin. It's as flawless as Levi's. The only give away of his age is the small flecks of grey in his hair, hidden well behind the black strands.

"You kids work hard on your project." He takes his hand out of mine and pats Levi on the shoulder, walking back into the living where a pile of papers lie on the small coffee table.

Levi guides me to his room and I take my usual seat on his bed, folding my right leg over my left. "Did you practice any of this?" I shake my head, making him let out a breathy laugh. "I didn't either. We're both good though, so it should be fine."

I don't reply, taking my violin out of its case and beginning to tune it. Usually, I would say something to him since I don't mind talking to him freely. Today, I'm not in the mood to talk about anything other than the stupid project we need to get done. He seems to take the hint, clearing his throat as we tune our instruments in the awkward silence.

We start composing after playing through what we've already done. My eyes drift to my bow that's laying beside me, my breath catching in my throat. The memory I almost forgot plays back in my head.