twenty

I do not want to spend four hours of my day ensuring Rosa and the mass of eleven or twelve year olds don't completely destroy our house, but Mom is forcing me to help her keep the kids in check today

She was shocked to hear that Levi was the baker I was taking about and insisted we pay him the day after he agreed to it. He kept refusing to take any of her money for around fifteen minutes, which is quite impressive. If I was him, I would've given in and expected the generous offer.

I had to leave work early to help Evie set up everything. Mom wants us to make the house look presentable as she'll also be meeting some of Rosa's friends' parents, so she'll have to leave work early as well. Despite her usual shyness towards new people, Rosa has managed to make a few friends. She talks to me about them everyday, saying that they're all amazing but will never replace her childhood best friend.

I'm happy that she's comfortable here. After everything she's been through, she deserves this fresh start.

Mom said she'll pick up the golden retriever she adopted tomorrow since it might be too hectic to bring him home today. Evie and I already have our presents for Rosa and agreed to give them to her after the party once she's finished opening up everyone else's presents.

It's ten to three by the time I'm helping Evie and the party starts at four, meaning that people might show up twenty minutes before. We need to have the house set in under fifty minutes. She's already done a good job. The two rose gold balloons of Rosa's age with a few smaller circular balloons at its base with a string attached to it are in the backyard against a wall beside the glass table and barbecue. In the middle of the table, there's bottles of Coke, Seven Up, water and Pepsi. I doubt we need all of this, but Mom bought it anyway.

There's also some silverware on top of a few napkins for the kids to take when they start eating, along with plates in front of every seat. Evie is already grilling at the barbecue. She's a good cook, so I'm sure the children will love the food. The only thing that's missing is the cake. Levi told me he'll bring it before half four, so I'm left hoovering the floor and cleaning up the kitchen, living room and bathroom until he comes over.

Rosa was also meant to help Evie while I was at work. She used the excuse that she's the birthday girl to not do anything but get the plates and silverware out of the kitchen, which she told me almost got her slapped by Evie. To get away from Evie's growing frustration, Rosa has locked herself in her room to choose the best birthday outfit she can.

The rooms that the kids will be going into are almost spotless when the doorbell rings. I manage to hear the noise through the low music that's playing on my headphones. Pulling them down to rest on my neck, I turn off the hoover and step past the wires, opening the door to see a slightly red Levi.

He's wearing dark wash baggy jeans and a white t-shirt. There's a red square box in his hands which must contain the cake. "Hi," he says, a soft smile on his face.