twenty-seven

The sun hits her face at the perfect angle, illuminating every intricate feature she possesses

The sun hits her face at the perfect angle, illuminating every intricate feature she possesses. Her freckles are the tiniest bit fainter than they were the first time I laid eyes on her due to the close of summer, but the small flecks of brown adorning her face seem to sparkle in the light. My eyes fall to the singular freckle on her top lip. It's beside her cupid's bow and not very noticeable due to its size, but I always find myself forcing my gaze away from her smooth, pink lips to not freak her out.

I shift my stare to her eyes, which are fixated on her intertwined fingers on her lap. My head tilts slightly to the left as I admire her eyes for the millionth time since I've met her. The rays of the sun brighten the forest green shade of her eyes. In my opinion, they're her most enchanting feature. There are always many emotions swirling in those beautiful eyes, ones that are too complex for me to uncover on my own. A part of me has been wishing that one day, she'll trust me enough to let me figure out the story she hides behind her eyes.

Her head turns towards me, her green eyes falling onto my brown ones. I instantly suck in a breath, my gaze falling to the concrete floor beneath our feet.

Adeline is breathtaking. There is absolutely no way to deny that fact. No matter what time of the day it is or how she's dressed or how she's feeling, she is still the most stunning woman I have ever come across. The only problem with her beauty is how I can never get myself to stop staring at her until it's too late.

I really hope she didn't notice that.

We're sitting on a bench by the footpath. The same bench we sat at on Saturday, minutes before her anger bubbled over and she lashed out at me. That was five days ago. Five long, agonising days.

In that time, my mind wasn't able to stop thinking about her. The moment it wasn't preoccupied with an activity, my thoughts would immediately be consumed with the image of her face, and it wouldn't stop. When my alarm goes off at seven for school, I would wonder how far along she is with her morning routine. At night when I'd switch off my phone to go to sleep, I would think about whether she's in bed or not too. It has been impossible to not think about her.

What is Adeline doing right now? How is Adeline feeling? Has Adeline seen her ass of a father again? Adeline would like this. The thoughts of her seemed to be never-ending.

It wasn't her misplaced anger that hurt me. I could tell that her father's presence had triggered her, so if she needed someone to shout at, yell at, cry to, hell, even hit, I would've willingly been that person.

It was her comment about Sophia that tugged at the strings of my heart. How do I know that you don't still fuck her every night and confess every detail you know about me? Those words were like a knife to my heart, one that was never ripped out. Instead, it was left in that position, and every time I saw Adeline, it would twist, emphasising the pain.