Chapter 1

Colby swam quickly through the water, his fish friend barely able to keep up. It was times like this when Colby felt so free. Being 10 years old and ambitious was a lethal combination. Colby's shimmering blue tail flapped through the water. Colby completely ignored the damage he was doing as he swam by the other merpeople. All of them were already aware of the prince's antics and knew to watch out for him when he came through.

When Colby reached his grotto he laid down on a rock, catching his breath. He reached into his small satchel that was draped across his body, taking out the newest human trinket he had found. He would definitely have to run this by Corey later. A tiny fish swam through the crevice of the surrounding rocks and swam over to Colby.

" I swear, you get faster every day," said Jake.

" Look at it," said Colby, admiring the trinket in his hand. " So beautiful."

" Pretty impressive, but don't let your father see it," said Jake.

" You're such a worrier," said Colby.

" I don't trust surface trinkets," said Jake. " Something about them. That thing could kill you."

" Would you relax," laughed Colby.

" I suppose it's better than actually going to the surface," said Jake.

Colby frowned. " Yea," he said, looking up at the light far above him.

The light was all Colby had ever known of the surface. His father had forbidden him or anyone from going to the surface, after what happened to his mother.

" Race ya!" said Colby, as he swam through the hole at the top of his grotto, heading for the surface.

" Oh no! Nononono! Not this again," said Jake. " Colby, come back! Your father will have my head."

Colby just kept swimming, drowning out the voice of his friend. He reached the surface and was inches away from it, when he stopped. Wanting to go and actually going were two different things. Colby hesitated, but ultimately faced his fear and pushed through. His head popped out of the water. He could feel the cold air on his face and his hair had dropped in front of his face. He brushed it aside. Suddenly, Colby was in a storm! He had thought the light he was seeing was the sun. Turned out it was lightning.

The waves were crashing against Colby as lightning struck and the thunder rumbled loudly. The rain nearly blinded Colby but he wiped his eyes, seeing something in the distance. It was a ship. He could hear the screaming and swam through the rough waves. He knew this was his fathers doing. His father loathed humans and so when any of them passed through, he made sure they wouldn't make it out alive.

Colby swam closer, narrowly avoiding the rocking ship as it nearly crushed him. Colby looked up at the humans scrambling aboard, when suddenly a small boy peeked over the edge.

" Sam, get away from there!" yelled his father, scooping up the small boy in his arms. This boy looked almost Colby's age.

Colby heard the man barking orders through the sound of the storm. He suddenly wrapped a protective arm around a blond woman, who Colby could only assume was his wife. They stumbled, steadying themselves against the edge as the ship listed in the water. Another lightning strike set the boat on fire and snapped it in half. It flooded almost immediately. Colby had seen the small blond boy reach for his parents as his part of the ship fell into the water.

" SAMMMM!" yelled his mother.

Colby watched the small boy as he grasped part of the sinking ship, eventually going into the water. Colby quickly sprung into action, following the path where the boy had gone down. Colby quickly dove after him. Even with the darkness, Colby knew these waters and he saw the unconscious boy floating, and sinking deeper. Colby quickly wrapped an arm around the boy's body and pulled him to the surface. He made sure to get the boy's head out of the water and held him close as he looked behind him, seeing the fiery remains of the rest of the ship go down.