Chapter 6

Sam was sitting on the stairs in the courtyard the next morning, looking out to the sea. When he saw Colby, he got up and walked over to him. However, Sam never got the chance to speak with him.

" Sam," said his mother, as she walked over to him.

" Good morning," said Sam.

" Don't forget, you're to make an appearance in the village today," said his mother.

" Uh right, yes," said Sam. " Thank you for reminding me."

" Perhaps you should bring Colby along," said his mother. " It is a good chance for him to be able to see the village."

" Yes, great idea," said Sam. " That is, if he wants?"

" I would love to," said Colby.

Sam hopped into the carriage that was waiting outside. Sam sat down and then gestured his hand to Colby and helped him in. Sam happily took the reins and they started on their way. Sam saw how Colby seemed fascinated by him driving the carriage. He glanced at the brunette next to him.

" Would you like to try?" asked Sam.

" Sure," said Colby.

" Ok, take these," said Sam. " And then put this hand here." Sam gently took Colby's hand and placed it in the right position. Colby looked down at Sam's hand over his and then up at Sam. The blond smiled at him and then shot his gaze back to the road.

" Colby, watch out," said Sam. The carriage was headed for a herd of cows that were crossing. " Just pull the reins to the WOAH!" He nearly fell from the carriage as Colby veered to the right.

" Like that?" said Colby, smirking.

" That was perfect," said Sam, smiling.

When they reached the village, they stepped out and were both instantly greeted by several villagers. Sam led Colby through the market and he was amazed, but a little overwhelmed at all of the things around him. There were so many different smells, shapes and colors.

" Fresh apple, sir?" said one of the female vendors.

Colby took it from her and knew instantly what to do. He grabbed a second one and began to juggle them both, failing miserably. He watched as the two apples fell to his feet and he noticed everyone looking at him.

" Apologies," said Sam, he then paid the woman for 3 apples. The two that Colby had destroyed and one more.

" Thank you, your majesty," she said.

Sam then gently escorted Colby away. " Let's try this again," said Sam. He then bit into the apple and handed it to Colby.

Colby took the apple from Sam, holding it gently in his hands. He reluctantly took a bite, savoring the taste.

"That's amazing," said Colby.

" You act like it's the first time you've ever eaten one of those," laughed Sam.

Colby kept eating as he and Sam continued. Colby suddenly stopped when he saw an old building down a path beside them.

" What's down there?" asked Colby.

" That's the abandoned towers of our old army base," said Sam.

" Let's go check it out," said Colby.

" It's just some old buildings," said Sam. " There's nothing interesting down there."

" C'mon, where's your sense of adventure?" asked Colby.

Sam smiled. " After you," he said.

Colby started down the path and Sam followed him. As they approached the old towers, they saw the windows far up. Colby began climbing up.

"What are you doing?" asked Sam.

" You see another way in?" asked Colby.

" You're a different one, you are," said Sam, as he started climbing behind Colby.

Both boys easily scaled the walls up to the top of the tower. Colby hopped through the small window and Sam soon climbed in after him.

" See, just an empty room," said Sam.

" You just need to be observant," said Colby. " Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

" You know something I don't?" asked Sam.

Colby walked to the center of the tower and lightly tugged on the rope hanging from the ceiling. A latch in the roof suddenly opened, revealing a ladder to the roof of the tower.

" Woah!" said Sam.

" See what happens when you change your perspective?" said Colby. " You never know the hidden treasures you'll find."

Sam and Colby quickly made their way to the roof of the tower. They were awestruck and speechless at the breathtaking view. They could see the palace in the distance, and the beautiful horizon of the sea in front of them. Both of them sat down to savor it all.