Chapter 7

No one had seen Colby for hours. Jake hurriedly made his way towards the throne room, where King Layne was waiting.

" Anything?" asked Layne.

" Nothing," said Jake. " I'm sorry."

" This is all my fault," said Layne. " Perhaps I was too harsh with him."

" We'll find him," said Jake. " Any news from his brothers?"

" Nothing yet," said Layne. " But I've got every single one of them searching. As soon as they hear anything, we'll know."

" That's good news," said Jake.

Layne turned around to face Jake. " You're one of his best friends," said Layne. " Do you have any idea where he could've gone?"

" No," said Jake. " But I know someone who might."

Layne and Jake quickly swam to Corey's cove. Once they reached it, the seagull dove beneath the water, surprised to see the King instead of Colby.

" Your majesty," said Corey, bowing his head and bringing his wing to his chest.

" Have you seen Colby?" said Layne.

" No, not since it happened," said Corey.

" It," said Jake. " You mean, he came to see you after everything."

" Yea, it was crazy," said Corey, looking at Layne. " He sure was mad at you."

The king frowned.

" Not helping Corey," said Jake.

" Oh right sorry," said Corey.

" Is there anything else you can remember?" asked Layne. " Something he said, or did, anything at all?"

" The last thing I remember was the purple bubble," said Corey. " It came out of nowhere, and I thought I saw someone following it and then all of sudden there was this big flash of light, of course it could've just been my eyes playing tricks on me. I have crazy dreams sometimes, one time I had a dream that-."

" Did you say a purple bubble?" Layne interrupted.

" Oh no," said Jake.

" What?" asked Corey.

" Katrina," said Layne.

" The seawitch?" asked Corey.

" What have I done?" asked Layne. " We have no time to lose, he must've gone to the surface, I'm sure of it now. I'll alert the others, you two, find him, please."

" Leave it to us, your highness," said Corey.

" Thank you, hurry please," said Layne.

Jake was the eyes and ears beneath the water while Corey flew through the air up top. Jake had never actually made it to the surface, but for Colby he would make it. He swam as fast as he could.

Katrina carefully watched Jake through her bubble. " That's one of Cole's meddling friends," she said. She then turned to Tara. " Get rid of him."

" How?" she asked.

" I don't care how, just do it!!" said Katrina.

Tara quickly left the caves and swam after Jake. She had her own black mermaid tail, she had been banished long ago for choosing to follow Katrina, so she was able to reach Jake no problem."

" Hey fishbait," said Tara.

Jake stopped swimming and flipped around. He narrowly dodged Tara's tail coming at him. He swam in zigzags, desperately trying to evade her. Suddenly, Corey dove in and started pecking at Tara.

" Get off of me you stupid bird," said Tara, shooing him away.

Jake was suddenly smacked by Tara's tail, up and out of the water. Jake screamed as he soared through the air. He hit the side of the rocky mountain hard and landed on the sand. He sucked in a breath and immediately started trying to flop his way back to the water. The sun was blaring down on him.