Chapter 2

Over the years, Colby had got better and better at sneaking to the surface and evading his father. Now at 19 years old, he was an expert at it. He was even faster at swimming too. His tail had finally reached its full blue color and he had grown blue highlights in his hair to match.

Colby flapped his tail in and out of the shallow water. He looked at the blond boy sitting in the sand in front of him. Sam had just turned 19 and was telling Colby all about this fancy party he hadn't asked for.

" My mom set it up as a way for me to meet the other princes," said Sam. " But marriage is the last thing on my mind right now."

" I'm sure they weren't that bad," said Colby.

" They were lovely, but they're not for me," said Sam. " I want to marry someone out of love, not because I'm forced too."

" I get that," said Colby.

Colby had learned so much about the human world from Sam and was grateful for that. He only hoped that one day, they wouldn't have to keep meeting in secret. Maybe one day, their kind would finally be able to get along and make peace.

" Do you believe in destiny?" asked Colby.

" That's an interesting question," said Sam. " I guess. I mean I haven't really thought about it. I don't get to think for myself very often. It seems almost as if my destiny is planned out for me, by my mother."

" Well, I'm not your mother," said Colby. " I want you to think for yourself. So think. What does Sam want? If you could do anything, go anywhere, right now, what would you do?"

" I wanna find love," said Sam, " Real love; and I wanna see the world. I wanna see the world with the one I love, and I want to be happy. I want to make memories, good memories that will last a lifetime. Me, the one I love and uncharted waters."

" Wow," said Colby.

" I know, cheesy right?" laughed Sam.

" Not at all," said Colby.

Sam smiled at him and then checked his watch on his wrist. " I'd better be going," said Sam.

" What is that thing on your wrist again?" asked Colby.

" It's called a watch," said Sam.

" What does it watch?" asked Colby.

" It doesn't watch anything, it tells time," said Sam.

" Then shouldn't it be called a tell?" asked Colby.

Sam laughed. " Yea, maybe it should," said Sam.

" Corey just called it a whippersnapper," said Colby.

" I like that better," said Sam. " Here!" Sam took the watch off of his wrist and tossed it to Colby.

" Really?" asked Colby.

" I've got like 20," laughed Sam.

" Thank you," said Colby.

Sam suddenly heard his mother calling his name from the palace. " I'll see you tomorrow?" asked Sam.

" Of course," said Colby.

Colby watched as Sam made his way up the stairs on the side of the mountain and back to the palace. Colby turned over in the water, laying on his back as the waves crashed against him. He sang.

Cause I need you like the flowers need the rain

I need you like the sun when the clouds turn grey

Oh you're like the blood runnin through my veins

I'll love until now and forever away

Colby had never told Sam how he really felt, but he has been in love with him for a while. He could only hope that Sam felt the same, but he wasn't ready to tell him, not yet anyway.

Sam stood at the top of the mountain. He had heard Colby singing and he smiled as he finished listening to him, before he continued on his way.

Colby quickly made his way towards the underwater palace, quickly waving to his people as he swam by. He had promised his father he wouldn't be late for another meeting and he wasn't in the mood for a lecture. When Colby arrived, he was greeted by his father and his six older brothers.

" Colby," said his father. " You're...right on time?"

" For once," said his oldest brother Elton.

" That's quite enough, Elton," said their father.

" So any news from the seven seas?" asked his father.

" Everything is good on my front, sir," said Aryia.

" A few conflicts of interests here and there but it's nothing we can't fix," said Aaron.

" And what of the Dead Sea?" asked their father.

" Still dead," laughed Mike.

" How about you, Colby?" asked his father.

Colby however wasn't paying attention, he had been too busy daydreaming.

" Colby!" his father said again.

" Huh? What?" said Colby. " Oh, everything is great, just great."

" That's good to hear," said his father. " Meeting adjourned."

Colby swam off with his brothers and his father watched him curiously. " That was unusual," said his father.

" You really don't see it, do you father," said Elton.

" What do you mean?" asked his father.

" I'd know that look anywhere," said Elton. " Colby is in love."

" Really! Love?!" asked his father.

" Uh huh," said Elton, " and by the looks of things, he's falling hard."

" This is great news," said his father. " But who is the lucky man? We must find out. Elton, see what information you can gather."

" Consider it done, father," said Elton.

Colby quickly swam back to his grotto, he laid down on the rock and took Sam's watch out from his bag, admiring it. He held it close to heart and it fluttered. He was seriously so in love with this boy. He loved him more everyday. He looked closely at the watch in his hands.

" What I would give to be part of your world!" said Colby.

Colby's image suddenly appeared inside the magic bubble of the sea witch Katrina. Katrina was Colby's aunt, and she had just been waiting for a way to get her hands on King Layne's crown.

" So, little boy blue is in love with the human, eh?" said Katrina, evilly. " Perfect!"

" How does that help us?" asked Tara, one of her minions.

" Well, if the king were to somehow find out about this human," explained Katrina, " I think Cole would be willing to do anything to keep him safe, and I do mean anything. We can use that to our advantage. I don't care what you have to do, but see to it that Elton finds out."

" Why him?" asked Tara.

" He wants to be a good son so desperately," said Katrina. " I'm willing to bet the seven seas he'll tell daddy straight away."