Chapter 9

Colby made his way down the steps of the castle, still beaming from his trip to the village with Sam. Colby stood around the corner, listening to Sam and the queen.

" Samuel please," she said. " Would you at least meet the boy? Prince Brennen traveled far to see you."

" I know the second I shake his hand, it's going to be another conversation about how our marriage will be good for the kingdom," said Sam. " What the benefits for both kingdoms will be."

" What's wrong with that?" asked the Queen.

" I'm sick of it, mother," said Sam. " For once, I wanna meet someone who asks about me, and cares about me and who I am! Not what I can do for their kingdom and their reign."

" You know the rules Samuel," said the Queen.

" Maybe it's time for the rules to change," said Sam.

The queen smiled at her son. " Something tells me this isn't just about you," she said.

" What do you mean?" asked Sam.

" I see the way you look at that boy," said the Queen.

" He makes me feel alive," said Sam.

" I wish I could change the rules Samuel," said the Queen. " But I can't."

" You can," said Sam. " You just won't."

" I'm sorry," said his mother. " But as Queen, I have to do what's best for my people."

" What about what's best for me?" asked Sam.

" Samuel?" she said softly.

" No, it's fine, forget it," said Sam.

" Samuel, wait," she said.

Sam was already gone, making his way outside and down the stairs. Colby stood around the corner, only now realizing he had given up his title when he made that deal. Something in his gut made him think Katrina knew this would happen. But he wasn't gonna let this stop him.

Sam walked across the white sands of the beach, he carefully sat down near the edge of the water, looking out across the horizon. He let the sea breeze flow through him, shutting his eyes tightly and then opening them again. It was moments like this where Sam felt the most free. If only he had someone to share it with.

A sudden movement beside him caught his attention. There was a fish flopping on the beach. Sam watched as it tried to make its way to the water. Sam quickly got up and went over to it. Sam struggled to pick it up because of the sharp scales but eventually was able to lift it by its tail.

" Hang on little guy," said Sam, holding the fish in his two palms. He hurried over to the water and got down on his knees to set it free, watching as it swam away. Jake let out a huge breath.

"There you are," said Corey. " Are you okay?"

" That human," said Jake. " He saved me."

" I told you he wasn't all that bad," said Corey.

Colby joined Sam on the beach. He was sitting on a rock, just thinking, looking out at the sunset on the horizon.

"Would you like some company?" asked Colby.

" Sure," said Sam. Colby sat on the rock next to Sam.

" I like coming here to think," said Sam. " Just, something about this spot. It feels familiar."

" I wouldn't know," said Colby.

" Let's get out of here," said Sam.

" Where do you wanna go?" asked Colby.

" Anywhere," said Sam. " I want to get a ship and just go, it doesn't matter where."

" Just, you and uncharted waters," said Colby.

" Not me, us," said Sam.

Colby looked over at Sam as they both stared into each other's eyes. Both of them leaned in close, their lips nearly touching when a huge wave crashed over them. They were both soaked to the bone.

" God danggit," laughed Sam. " C'mon, let's go back and change."

Colby frowned as he watched Sam stand up on the rock and jump down onto the beach. He had been so close and his second day was nearly over.

Colby quickly got up and followed Sam, unaware of the siren watching him. Tara's black tail flopped in the waves as she watched the boys from behind a rock, happy to see her little interruption had worked.