Chapter 8

" I could stay up here all day," said Sam.

" I know, I just feel so..." started Colby.

" Free?" asked Sam.

" Yeah," said Colby.

" You know my mother told me stories about this place," explained Sam. " From what she remembers, it was used as a base for the Royal Army, in their fight against merfolk."

" If you don't mind me asking," said Colby, " why do you hate them so much?"

" I don't," said Sam. " Just because they're different doesn't make them evil. It's like some people don't understand that."

" I know what you mean," said Colby.

" The fighting stopped years ago," said Sam. " One of the former kings had gone out on a voyage to hunt the merfolk. He succeeded, but at the cost of his own life."

" What happened?" asked Colby.

" He killed a siren not far from here," said Sam. " Some believe she was only trying to help, but that didn't matter, he was more of a shoot first ask questions later kind've king. He only ever wanted the glory of killing one of them."

Colby stiffened, as he knew Sam was talking about his mother, but of course he couldn't tell him that. The story of how his mother died was practically beaten into Colby everyday of his life.

" His crew made up some story about how the siren attacked them with her song," said Sam. "So now, all merfolk are seen as vicious and lustful, because of one misguided human. Now, they all suffer."

" That's terrible," said Colby.

" One day, when I'm ready to take the throne, I'm gonna change their minds," said Sam. " I wanna help them understand that we shouldn't fear these creatures, we could learn so much from them."

" I think that would be amazing," said Colby, moved.

Sam smiled as he looked back towards the sea. He then frantically stood up. Colby saw as he began to panic.

" We need to leave," said Sam.

" What's wrong?" asked Colby.

" Bandits," said Sam.

" What do they want?" asked Colby.

" Usually money," said Sam. " But I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting their hands on a wealthy prince either."

" Fair point," said Colby, as they made their way down.

The option of scaling the wall back down was out of the question, so instead they snuck through several other rooms and walked across, up and over the ramparts. They suddenly heard yelling as one of the bandits pointed at them.

" Guess our cover is blown," said Colby.

Both of them hurried across the ramparts and into the next tower window. There were two old and slightly rusted swords. Sam picked them up.

" These might come in handy," said Sam, as he tossed one to Colby.

Colby caught it and stared at it in his hands, not sure how these were going to help them.

Sam opened the door in their room and it revealed a spiral staircase and they quickly made their way down, thankful to see a door waiting for them at the bottom. Colby quickly threw it open and stepped out of the tower. Sam shut the door behind them.

Sam and Colby jumped back as several bandits emerged from the trees surrounding them. Sam quickly started swinging his sword at them and they fought back with theirs.

Colby slowly backed away as one of the bandits brandished his sword at him. He began swinging it at Colby, who only narrowly dodged them. Colby wasn't exactly sure what he was supposed to do, so he began waving the sword slowly in front of him, attempting to put the guy in a trance.

The bandits' eyes followed Colby's sword, slightly confused but waiting for his next move. Colby then caught him off guard, using the pointed end to flick dirt into the bandits eye and bonk him on the head with the end of the sword. He fell to the ground unconscious.

" I guess that's one way to do it," said Sam.

" I'm a little rusty," said Colby.

Sam and Colby snapped their heads to the side as they heard more voices in the distance.

" We should probably get going," said Sam.

" Yea, let's get out of here," said Colby, as he and Sam sprinted back down the path.

Sam and Colby stopped to catch their breath beside the carriage when they reached it. They were both hunched over, breathing heavily. Sam suddenly laughed.

" What?" asked Colby, panting.

" That was the most fun I've ever had in my life," said Sam. He looked over at Colby. " Who are you?"

" I'm...just Colby," he said.

" Well, just Colby," started Sam. " Thank you, seriously."

" Anytime," said Colby.