Chapter 14

Colby sat on a rock as he watched Sam on the surface from afar. His mother hugged him tightly and several guards were with them. Colby was glad the human world was safe. As Sam's mother and the guards walked away, Colby saw Prince Brennen take Sam's hands. He saw that they were talking and wondered what they were saying. Sam spoke back to him.

Brennen walked over to Sam, taking Sam's hands in his. " You know, I meant what I said," Brennen explained. " I really like you, and I want you to be happy." Sam nodded and sent him a small smile.

" Which is why, I've decided not to take your hand in marriage," said Brennen. Sam's head shot up at him, he looked at him surprised.

" This whole arranged marriage thing, it's not right," explained Brennen. " People should marry out of love, not because they are forced to. I understand that now, you helped me see that."

Brennen smiled happily at Sam and then they both looked over at Colby, watching them from the water.

" I hope that one day, I will be able to find a love like the one you found," said Brennen.

" You will," said Sam. " I know it."

" Take care, Samuel," said Brennen.

" You as well," said Sam.

They stayed this way before Brennen let go of Sam's hands and they parted ways. Sam stayed standing on the beach while Brennen walked back up to the palace.

Colby saw Sam look out towards the sea and lock eyes with him. Colby smiled but tears formed in his eyes. Suddenly, Elton swam up behind him.

" You okay?" asked Elton.

" Yea," said Colby. " Shouldn't you be getting back to the throne, King Elton?"

" You know I don't think I'll ever get used to hearing that," laughed Elton.

He followed Colby's gaze over to the surface and saw Sam looking at them, before he walked off to join his mother. Elton looked back at Colby.

" You really love him, don't you?" asked Elton.

" I do," said Colby. " He's my everything."

" Then you should be with him," said Elton.

" I wish I could be," said Colby. " I want to see the world, with him by my side."

" That would make you very happy, wouldn't it?" asked Elton.

" The best happiness I've ever known is with him," said Colby.

" You know," said Elton. " A king's trident is special. In every way. No trident is the same as another."

Colby looked at Elton and then looked at his trident. It was very different from the one their father had wielded.

"The only thing that remains the same is that every trident ever made holds one wish for their king," explained Elton. "They can choose to do what they please. Which is why I've decided to give my wish to you."

Colby turned towards his brother, shocked. " Are you sure?" he asked.

" I want you to be happy," said Elton. " It's what father would've wanted too, but it's not my choice, it's yours. Is this what you want?"

"Yes," said Colby.

"Very well," said Elton.

Elton then dipped his trident into the water and in place of Colby's blue tail were legs once again.

" Go to him," said Elton.

" I love you Elton," said Colby.

" We will always be with you," said Elton. "All of us."

" Thank you," said Colby. He then dove into the water, swimming as fast as his new legs would carry him towards the shore. Towards Sam.

Sam was halfway up the stairs with his mother when he suddenly saw someone swimming towards the edge of the beach. Sam saw that it was Colby. Colby trudged through the water, his long white shirt and navy blue pants soaking wet as he made his way towards the beach.

" You know," said Sam's mother. " He may come from merfolk, but he is still a prince."

Sam looked at her curiously and she smiled and winked at him. Sam's eyes lit up and he hurriedly bolted back down the stairs to the beach. As soon as Colby stepped onto the beach, Sam ran over and jumped into his arms, knocking them both over onto the sand. They both laughed and Sam looked into Colby's deep blue eyes as he kissed him and a small wave rushed over them, drenching them.

" Never leave me again," said Sam.

" I promise," said Colby.

" I like the hair," said Sam, seeing the blue highlights in Colby's brown hair.

" Thank you," said Colby.

Sam helped Colby up and Colby wrapped Sam's in his arms, hugging him tightly. Both of them looked out towards the sea and saw Elton watching them. Sam nodded to him and Elton nodded back before diving back down into the water. Sam's mother walked up to them. Colby bowed to her. She smiled.

" I now see that what's best for my son, was in front of him all along," said the Queen. They both smiled happily at her.

" Thank you mother," said Sam. He then looked at Colby. " Marry me? Tonight?"

" I'd love nothing more, your highness," said Colby.

The queen turned towards the guards. "Well, what are you all still standing here for?" she asked. "We've got a wedding to prepare."

Sam and Colby stood happily on a ship, surrounded by several villagers and staff from the palace. Sam's mother had agreed to keep the throne until they returned and she promised to create a new treaty between humans and merfolk. Neither of them no longer had to live in fear. They could finally live in harmony and people were free to marry whoever they wanted, royal or not, human or not.

Several members of Colby's kingdom and his family rose to the surface to congratulate the newlyweds. Jake was next to Elton as they watched them both. Colby waved to Jake and the red snapper jumped happily, doing a flip in the air before landing back in the water. Colby laughed and smiled at him. Corey flew overhead and landed on the side of the ship. Colby hugged the seagull gently and then Corey flew off, circling above them as the ship prepared to set sail.

Colby saw Prince Brennen standing on the beach waving to them as well. He smiled at Colby and nodded to him. Colby nodded back. Brennen suddenly locked eyes with one of Colby's brothers, watching from the water. He smiled at the mercreature, who smiled back at him.

Sam and Colby turned towards each other and Colby wrapped his arms around Sam's waist, bringing him in close.

" You were right, you know," said Sam.

" About what?" asked Colby.

" About me getting to be free one day, about finding love," said Sam. " This is what freedom feels like."

" You, me," said Colby.

" And uncharted waters," finished Sam, he then brought Colby in for a loving kiss as they sailed into the sunset.

The End