Chapter 3

It had been a while since Colby visited his friend Corey. If he was being honest, he trusted Sam more when it came to human trinkets, but he still enjoyed visiting the seagull whenever he could.

" You coming, Jake?" asked Colby.

" I hope we're not going to see that buffoon, Corey," said Jake.

" Hey, be nice or he might eat you," laughed Colby.

" I'd like to see him try," said Jake.

Colby and Jake swam to the cove where they knew Corey would be waiting. Right on schedule, the seagull dove into the water.

" Whaddup brother," said Corey.

" Hi Corey," said Colby.

" I was starting to think you forgot about me now that your human friend has all the best names now," said Corey.

" Don't be silly," said Colby. " I could never forget you."

"I could," said Jake.

" Haha, funny," said Corey. " So, what do you have for me today?"

" Can't I just visit an old friend?" asked Colby.

" You got nothing for me," said Corey. " No, it's okay, I get it, I see how it is. I'm irrelevant now."

" You've always been irrelevant," said Jake.

" Listen Snappy Magee, I can eat you anytime I want," said Corey.

" No one is eating anyone," said Colby.

" So, how is Sam anyway?" asked Corey.

" Gorgeous as ever," said Colby.

" I think I'm gonna be sick," said Jake.

" You're a hopeless romantic, you know that Jake," said Corey, sarcastically.

" I don't support fraternizing with humans," said Jake. " If your father finds out, he'll have my head on a platter."

" That actually sounds delicious,' said Corey.

Jake ignored him. " I don't understand why you like it up there so much," said Jake, " when you have everything you could ever want, right here, under the sea, where it's safe."

" I don't have everything I want," said Colby. " Not really!"

"Under the sea is where you need to be," said Jake.

" Wow, how long did it take you to come up with that one?" laughed Corey. Jake snapped at him.

" Take it from me kid, you gotta take the chance when you see it," said Corey. " Live in the moment, never let it pass you by."

" Thanks Corey," said Colby. " It was good to see you."

" Ditching me for the blond again, huh?" said Corey.

" Maybe," laughed Colby.

" Because you're in love, I'll let it slide this one time," said Corey. " Catch ya on the flip side." Corey then returned back to the surface and flew away.

Colby discreetly swam out of his grotto. He took a quick look around to make sure the coast was clear and then he swam up to the surface. Unbeknownst to Colby, Elton had secretly been watching him and saw him heading for the surface.

Colby's head poked through the water and he saw Sam, sitting in his usual spot on the beach, but he didn't seem like his normal, happy self. Colby quickly swam over.

" Everything okay?" asked Colby.

" My mother wants me to take the throne," said Sam.

" Isn't that a good thing?" asked Colby.