14.| Syera

Two weeks of peace

Two weeks of peace. Of tranquility. Of stability and most of all no nightmares.

The presence of Koa had reduced the recurrence of the nightmares. My life felt much more smooth with a thoughtless and sound sleep at night. It made me more efficient and I could work better throughout the day. It made me useful.

Productivity is the key to ruling an empire.

If I am useless. My empire will be the one which is questioned. My authority hampered.

An invitation for the parliament and other nations to scorn upon. The parliament will scorn upon me while portraying themselves as messiahs. It gives them a chance of gaining more than just playing the elective government and show of democracy.

The only thing the parliament of Silenus serves is illegal and black functioning. The crown is the only one that has to work for the people because they are the limelight.

And the reason for their current strategies to dethrone me is that they will and shall not be ruled my a woman.

A reagent queen is not accepted. That is what has been the costumes. But my father always thought differently.

Gender. Age. Sexuality. Race. Colour. Caste.

Nothing defines the ability of a person. Apart from what they alone aim to achieve and accomplish.

Father had tried to pass a royal decree for the reagent queen act. That was partially passed by the parliament and nobles. It a great feat that the nobles have seventy six votes for all the noble families in play. Minus the seventy seventh vote. The vote that could have  established the decree passed without the trial period of six months.

The seventy seventh vote belonged to the family that had not voted in the past sixteen years. The family that had left the empire. Wanting never to be attached to it any further.

The permission to which was personally granted by the queen consort.

My mother. Her Royal Majesty.

It was not a question to be asked or questioned any further.

The House of Lords for the first time in history of a nation had lost its upper hand. The nobles and the corrupt civilian sat in a table. In the name of an elective monarchy.

Not every civilian is corrupt sweetheart. Nobles can be far more predatory beneath their royal demeanors. Try to be suspicious of a duke for once.

Koa had spoken awfully out of character last night when we were talking about the political structure of Silenus. He seemed to know a lot about it. Considering the fact that the man was American and had not received any sort of education from Silenus.

It was quite a surprising fact.

It made me only further realise the unbinding and harsh truth. That kept etching to the surface with every breath I took in his vicinity.

Everyday he knew me better. He knew me more as Syera. And everyday I discovered how little I knew about him.

He provided me stability only to leave me in a puddle of far more intrusive thoughts.

Curiosity.

Anxiousness.

Why was he able to untangle me?

But the more I tried to know about him the more he shielded himself. As if to push me away from himself. He didn't want his own threads untangled.

People who fear nightmares are the ones trying to find escape. To feel themselves as something apart from what their fear defines them to be. But those who live nightmares have accepted it as their own sweetheart. It doesn't affect them. It is in fact a part of them.

Lived Nightmares?

So, he had nightmares too.

The void and hollow personality of his was because of these nightmares. I knew that but he was someone who had locked those nightmares in a ivory tower. Shielded it with his mightiest knights and most of all built an impenetrable fort around it.

He had locked it so deep that it was almost protected.

His every reaction was forced.

Every hint of life in his eyes was crushed immediately by none other than him. He was logical, deadly and emotionally unavailable and he didn't miss the slightest opportunity to hint it.

Those cold eyes.

That crisp voice.

The painful actions that slit my heart every time I got too close and he pushed me away.

But damn my fucking heart.

It betrayed me each and every fucking time I saw him.

It beat slow.

It beat fast.

It's beat stopped.

And it was all for him. And only him.

As much as I tried to pull myself away from him. The more I felt attached to him. The more I tried to know about him the more my breath stopped.

The raw beauty in the man  that he couldn't hide.

He was living in my mind rent-free.

I was hopelessly and irrevocably falling in love with Koa Gabriel Callisto.

Every day I fell asleep on his shoulder. As he read the book I picked out. I believed we were getting closer and he was being my anchor. But at the same time he was the tide that turned my ship over and wrecked it.

My love was unrequited.

I didn't need to be a genius to realise that he was only there with me for some sort of personal benefit. But there was always a slight hint of warmth. A slight hint of adoration every time he called me, 'Sweetheart'.

"Your Royal Highness. The House of Lords and House of Elites have gathered in the conference hall and are awaiting your arrival."

Uncle Vincent's voice pierced through the air.

'The meeting was today?'

Confusion filling me up and my anxiety taking root in the bottom of my belly.

I see uncle's jaw clench. And him wiping his gloved hands on the sides of his pants.

'Luca Valentino is dead, Your Royal Highness. There is no longer a legal heir to Valentino vote. Lady Valentino's vote for you can't be counted as there are no prodigies to her noble house. I am afraid that we may have just lost another Lord.'

.

.

My breath becomes erratic with every breath. Panic filling my lungs. Combusting my heart. My throat feels sore and my vision turns hazy.

'So... We now only have 75 votes. And the House of Elites has 76 votes.'

I ask again. Checking if I had heard uncle right.

Pain etched his face. He rushed towards my side as I slowly slid down my seat. My world turning black and yellow. Flashing between reality and the state of darkness.

Will I not even be a queen?

If not a queen... Who even am I?

'Angel... Breathe. We will figur-'

That all I hear before darkness clouds my vision and I feel a lone tear slide down my cheek.