14. can we fix this? pt. 2

2nd october, 2021

The two cousins stood in the cue waiting to be served as Holly tutted and slid her phone into her back pocket to gave her full attention to her younger cousin, "So," the older blonde broke the silence between them as they stood in the queue and wa...

The two cousins stood in the cue waiting to be served as Holly tutted and slid her phone into her back pocket to gave her full attention to her younger cousin, "So," the older blonde broke the silence between them as they stood in the queue and waited to be served. "How's life in London then?" she asked, avoiding the bombshell that the teenager had just dropped on them.

"It's good," Olivia replied, shoving her hands in the pockets of her sister's Arsenal branded coat that she just so happened to keep a hold off during the game. "It's fun to live with my sister and being part of the academy is fun as well." she told her.

Holly smiled and slung her free arm around her cousin, pulling her closer towards her, "Got to say it though munchkin, that we're all really proud of you. Your mum especially, she was so proud that she was crying down the phone when she told my mum." she chuckled, hugging her gently. "You're gonna go so far, I just know it already." she insisted.

"You think so?" Olivia wondered, she didn't think she would ever be that good compared to other football players that she'd seen.

"Absolutely, without a doubt," Holly didn't hesitate to agree, beaming widely at her younger cousin.

"Thanks, Hol. It means a lot for you to say that," Olivia said, grateful for the encouragement that her family gave her, all she had ever wanted to do was make her family proud.

"Heard about the whole doctors trip as well," Holly said as she glanced at her cousin who looked weary where this conversation was leading. "I mean, I heard about the whole thing that they think you have ADHD. Not the other thing... That's not my place to ask about. So, how do you feel about that?" she wondered.

"Don't know, guess I feel shocked, and also probably a bit confused," The fourteen-year-old admitted, keeping her hands buried inside the coat pockets. "I mean, I don't really understand much about it, but it's like... All these things that I'm feeling now, I now know that it's not normal to have this type of stuff in my head and not be able to sit still. I just... I didn't think anything different though, for so long. I didn't... I still don't really understand it." she mumbled, expressing her feelings.

"Do you feel angry?" The older woman asked.

Olivia shrugged her shoulders loosely, "I don't know, maybe... Yeah, I guess in a way I do. I mean, they've told me that I might have it. I've had it for a while but yet, nobody even realised that I did!" she asked, confused as she raised her voice. "Why... Why didn't nobody realise until now?" she said in barely a whisper.

"Sometimes, things like this are hard to diagnose," Holly explained, rubbing her hand on her cousins back to try and calm her down. "I took a look at the statistics and it's crazy. You'd be surprised if you looked at them," she told her honestly.

"It just... I can't help but feel so overwhelmed by it all. I don't understand it... I don't get it," The teenager confessed, biting her bottom lip slightly.