Chapter 3: Controlled Chaos

Another month went by. All the Kestrels did was schoolwork, practice, home, repeat. The more they practiced with Kevin, the more they got to know him. He formulated a new strategy they should try for the next match.

Kevin: Ok. So hear me out: What if we tried having no plan at all?

Oscar: I don't follow.

Kevin: It's like what Mavis said: If we keep using logical tactics and strategy we end up predictable. Our opponents would figure that out and capitalize on that, putting us at a disadvantage. I propose that we have, for lack of better word, "controlled chaos" where we just freely engage any aircraft we want and give each other warnings and assistance whenever necessary. I don't condone a complete lack of leadership, but having the opposing team have no clue of our approach will always put us ahead. As Jeremiah taught me on my first day: "Always keep 'em guessing".

Marcy: That....might actually work.

Jeremiah: Randomly generated? Just like my kind of humor. I'm all for it.

Mavis: This is more than just a free-for-all, right?

Kevin: Of course. Just say what your intentions are and act accordingly. Should anything hit the fan, we will form a failsafe plan.

Oscar: Well, since you all agree to this tactic, I say we try it out.

With that, it was time for the next match. They would be up against Ultra Prep's Star-Stags high above the Washington state mountains.

Oscar: Ok. Star-Stags is a squadron fully consisting of 5 F/A-18E Super Hornets. These things are agile as hell, even more agile than the F-5. Despite the lack of thrust vectoring nozzles they can pull maneuvers as if they did. But there is one major flaw of that gift of theirs: Because they don't have thrust vectoring, they can only pull tight maneuvers that involve flipping their planes, so that means they can only do cobras and kulbits, nothing else. Use that to your advantage.

Kevin: Alright. Let's use our new strategy. If we act randomly they have no way of predicting our movements.

Jeremiah: Let's hope this works.

Marcy: It better...

Oscar: It's time to saddle up. Let's go.

The pilots on both teams shook hands and took to the air. It was time for the match to start.

Jeremiah: Jester, engaging.

Mavis: Doc and Twintails engaging.

Kevin: I'm engaging as well.

Jeremiah: We really gotta get a callsign for you.

Kevin: Yeah...Anyway, go nuts.

Star-Stag 1: 2 Tomcats and a Harrier. This should be easy.

Star-Stag 4: I love a classic as much as the next guy, but if you wanna be competitive in this sport you need the latest tech.

The Kestrels all broke formation and chased any plane they wanted. Jeremiah went after Star-Stag 4, Marcy and Mavis went after Star-Stag 2, and Kevin Star-Stag 5.

Marcy hits Star-Stag 2

Home 0 - 1 Away

She dodged an incoming missile. Jeremiah landed two shots on Star-Stag 4.

Home 0 - 3 Away

Jeremiah: C'mon, give me a challenge!

Kevin fired a missile at his target but missed. He then made it up by successfully using gun.