Chapter 14: Festival

The excitement of Hayakami day was growing with each passing day. The students and teachers were talking about it in the classrooms.

Narumi: The games have prizes you can win. Exclusive ones you can't get anywhere else. Near the end, the night sky will be lit up with fireworks. It's a beautiful sight to behold.

Sayuki: Maybe you can land your plane on top of the mall, Kevin.

Kevin: I can do that?

Sayuki: We have a helipad. You can land on that.

Kevin: Okay, so long as it's legal.

It wasn't long until it was Thursday, festival day. The side streets were being filled to the brim with stands of food, drink, games and more. Kevin maneuvered his plane onto the helipad on the roof of Matsumoto Mall, creating quite a stir. Later that evening, everything was ready. The festival started with much fanfare. People were eating, drinking, playing, and dancing to a whole myriad of music genres. Lights filled the streets as decorated trucks and other custom cars filled the roads. It was a blast. Kevin was dancing with Sayuki, Marcy and Mavis were playing games, and Jeremiah ate to his heart's content. Even Oscar had to get in on the fun, challenging the locals to a game of wasabi roulette. The music then started to slow down for the obligatory slow dance bit.

Sayuki: Come. I know a great place where we can dance.

Kevin: Ok!

Sayuki grabbed his hand and took him to the roof of the mall. At the top she climbed Kevin's Harrier.

Kevin: We're going to dance on my plane?

Sayuki: Yes.

Kevin: Alright.

He climbed into his plane.

Kevin: Watch your step, these aircraft weren't designed to be danced on.

Sayuki: At least it's a slow dance.

Kevin: Correct.

They held each other close as they slow danced, both extending their arms and Kevin wrapping his right arm around her waist. Sayuki leaned her head on his chest as they spun slowly.

Kevin: I never thought I would be doing this when I landed here for the first time.

Sayuki: I never thought I would be dancing like this in this year's festival.

Kevin: I never thought I would find love in a place I never was meant to go.

Sayuki: I never thought the love of my life would appear tardy on their first day.

Kevin giggled.

Sayuki: I always prayed for my feelings to be heard, and the gods listened.

Kevin: I hope my prayers get answered.

Sayuki: We can always go back. Frequent visits are a sign of faith, and the gods love that. Akimiya is very popular, so I guess you can say it has a mountain of faith.

Kevin: Then let's go tomorrow.

Sayuki: Of course.

They danced quietly for a few minutes more.

Kevin: Nice job on that volleyball match.

Sayuki: Thanks. I knew you would come.

Kevin: Of course. I want to support you in your sport.