Chapter 19: How To Say Goodbye And Mean It

The next day was surreal. When the Kestrels entered Hayakami everyone was looking at them, but most of their eyes were on Kevin, the young fire flying pilot who defeated a legendary ace, and his girlfriend, Sayuki, the princess of Matsumoto Mall and upcoming volleyball player. Sayuki's friends greeted them.

Shinji: Normally I'm rooting for my home team but I gotta say, you showed real skill out there. You have my respect.

Kyoko: The way Kevin handled The Ripper was amazing. How did you do it?

Kevin: Honestly, I was winging it. I reacted whenever he was in my crosshairs. As you all saw, the results were mixed.

The Kestrels answered more questions until Shinji asked the final one.

Shinji: So how many days left until you four have to go home?

There was a small pause.

Marcy: Only one.

Mavis: Today, and wheels up tomorrow morning.

The mood was slightly somber after that.

Kevin: Before I forget, I just want to thank you all for your generous hospitality. It was already one thing to land in a new country, it's another to make friends in it. I cannot thank you all enough.

Kyoko: Then why don't we hang out at the mall after school one last time?

Shinji: Yeah, as you Americans say, "One more for the road", right?

Miko nodded in agreement.

Jeremiah: Alright. I'm down for that. How 'bout you guys?

Marcy: As if I'm turning down that offer!

Mavis: Same.

Kevin: So long as Sayuki's coming.

Sayuki: Of course I'm coming with you guys.

After school, the Kestrels went into the mall one last time. Throughout their visit, the Kestrels collected merchandise to take back home and this time they were making one last sweep to see if they missed anything. Sayuki and her friends met with them and the group shifted from store to store talking and joking around. When their sweep was completed they all went to the arcade to play a plethora of games. Turning wheels, singing, dancing, shooting, throwing, the whole group was in ecstasy until it was finally time to go. It was already dark when they left the building.

Kevin: Well guys, it's been so fun hanging with you all.

Kyoko: Same.

Mavis: I hope we can see you again soon.

Shinji: You're always welcome to visit us anytime.

Miko: B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-Be g-g-g-g-g-g-g-good...

Sayuki: Damn, even Miko talked. That's how much she likes you all.

Kevin: I have one more thing to give you.

Sayuki: Oh?

Kevin reached into his pocket and brought out a golden necklace with a bird on it.

Kevin: I saw this at the mall and I just knew you had to have it.

Sayuki gasped.

Sayuki: It's beautiful.

Kevin wrapped it around her neck.

Kevin: Perfect fit.

Sayuki: I-I'm so happy...Thank you so much!

She gave him a hug.

Kevin: It's the least I can do to thank you for everything. Your kindness, your hospitality...your love.

Sayuki: And I want to thank you too for the same exact thing. I'm so grateful that you're my boyfriend.

Kevin: And I'm grateful that you're my girlfriend. I wish I could stay for just a little longer.

Sayuki: Well let me walk you home, at least.

Kevin: I wouldn't have it any other way~

The group walked across the street. When they got there the couple stood outside for a second.

Kevin: Well...This is goodbye, I guess...

Sayuki: In this day and age, it's less of a goodbye and more of a "see you later". You do have me on social media, right?

Kevin: Of course.

Sayuki: Then, see you later.

Kevin: See you later, hun. I love you~

Sayuki: I love you, too~

The two kissed deep and long. The Kestrels walked into the hotel and Sayuki's friends went home. The next day everyone grabbed their belongings and merchandise and packed them in a van. That van drove the pilots to Haneda. They all headed for their respective airplanes and started up their engines.

Jeremiah: Well, this is it.

Mavis: It was fun while it lasted, right flight lead?

Kevin: Yeah...

Marcy: I'm gonna miss this place. I hope we can bring our parents here some day, sis.

Mavis: I agree.

Oscar: Alright ramblers, let's get rambling. It's time for us to take off.

The four planes lined up and one by one, took off. When the planes were high in the sky, Kevin spotted Hayakami High School.

Kevin: Hey guys, we still have some smoke from the races left. How about we do something for Japan to remember us by?

Jeremiah: I like the sound of that.

Marcy: Works for me.

Kevin: Alright. Follow my lead.

The three planes maneuvered in the air, forming a heart shape with their smoke and Kevin flew right through it, signifying the arrow. On the ground Sayuki heard all the noise and looked up. She smiled brightly, knowing exactly who that message was for.