Chapter 9: Volleyball

After another day of school, Sayuki held up the Kestrels again.

Sayuki: Hey guys. I'm going to volleyball practice in the gym. Wanna come?

Kevin spoke first without hesitation.

Kevin: Sure, I'll go. What about you guys?

Jeremiah: Eh, why not.

Mavis: Can't hurt to watch. Marcy?

Marcy: Alright.

Sayuki: Come along, then, hehe.

Sayuki guided the Kestrels through the hallways. Kevin took a peek at the other halls to see if there was anything interesting going on.

He saw a student wearing a knight armor set talking to a group of friends.

He noticed what appears to be an extracurricular cooking class and smelled the aromas of amateurish dishes.

He swore he saw students whose heads looked like a gray wolf and a deer at the theater club.

He had to do a double take on that one.

They arrived at the gym.

Sayuki: The other team members are inside the locker room. You can enter the gym through those doors. Give us a couple minutes and we'll be ready.

The Kestrels entered the gym and sat on the bleachers. Some other people were sitting nearby including Lily-Mei.

Jeremiah: I wonder how good they are.

Mavis: Maybe if we can pay attention to their style we can evaluate how the Hayabusas may operate.

Marcy: How does Volleyball correlate with fire flight?

Jeremiah: Because teamwork is of the utmost importance in both of them. Haven't you seen the movie Top-

Kevin: There they are!

Sayuki's team walked out of the locker room. They were going to practice by playing a round with each other. Sayuki dictated where her teammates were to stand. When everybody was in place, she served the ball with an impressive punt. The ball bounced from side to side until Sayuki punted the ball where it landed on the opponent's floor. They shifted places, and the game went again. The Kestrels were cheering but Kevin was cheering for Sayuki the most. Hearing Kevin cheer for her made Sayuki play harder. Her movements sped up and in no time her side was dominating the other. When practice ended, her team was really impressed with her performance that day.

Kevin: Sayuki killed it today.

Mavis: Everyone played great.

Jeremiah: Yeah they have great "form"...

Marcy elbowed Jeremiah's thigh hard.

Jeremiah: Ow, what?!

Kevin: Sayuki played the best. She was amazing...

Little did they know Lily-Mei is a pro eavesdropper. Sayuki was speaking to her teammates.

Sayuki: I don't know what came over me, but I felt really good today.

Narumi: Maybe it was because your boyfriend was cheering for you~

Sayuki: He's not my boyfriend!

Kyoko: Yeah, you keep telling yourself that.