Chapter 1: Replacement

It was in the middle of September, the first month of Senior year, and Kevin's phone alarm rang. He dismissed the alarm and sat up on his bed. He dressed up and went to the bathroom to brush his teeth and use the toilet. He then went downstairs to his parents.

Kevin: Good morning, mom.

Lorenza: Good morning, sweetie.

Kevin: Good morning, dad

Morgan: Mornin', son.

Lorenza: You're not gonna eat?

Kevin: You know how my stomach feels after breakfast before school.

Lorenza: Alright, then.

Morgan: Did you hear? The Kestrels have a spot open. You should look into that.

Kevin: I will. Has Gwen sent any message?

Morgan: Not yet. You know how busy she is.

Kevin: Alright. Keep me posted.

Morgan: Will do.

He then spent the next 30 minutes watching the news before getting on his motorcycle. He then rode to Monarca High and went to his classes like any ordinary student. He said hello to his friends who responded back. He did the work each class had given him. He had small talk with his colleagues. He exercised at PE. He was as ordinary as ordinary gets. He had his lunch outside as he scanned his immediate area.

He saw two boys holding hands.

He watched two girls share each other's food.

He witnessed a girl excitedly drag her boyfriend into the girl's bathroom.

He wished he didn't see the last one.

He sighed hoping he would find a companion that would love him truly. When the final bell rang, he was walking toward his locker. During his travels, he spotted a piece of paper on a bulletin board. It was advertising an open position for the Kestrels. He thought about what his dad said, and read the paper.

SPOT OPENING FOR MONARCA KESTRELS

Interested? Go to classroom #7 for more info. Flight experience preferred.

Kevin read the instructions and followed them. He grabbed his things at his locker and headed to classroom #7. When he entered the room, he saw a teacher sitting at the front desk with his feet up.

Kevin: H-Hello?

Oscar: Yes?

Kevin: I got this flyer on the bulletin and wanted to check things out.

Oscar was rummaging through 3 student profiles.

Oscar: Alright. You see these papers?

Kevin: Yeah?

Oscar: These are your competition. What's your name, son?

Kevin: Kevin McNamara.

Oscar looked up his name in the student portal.

Oscar: Hmmm. Looks like you have some fire flight experience. You're the only one amidst these papers to have that sooo....you got the spot.

Kevin: Thank you, sir.

Oscar: Just call me Mr. Mangosta.

Kevin: Alright.