Chapter 10: New Lands Part 2

It was Friday and Kevin sat down at his desk on his third day of Japanese high school. He greeted Sayuki and Miko, who was starting to warm up to him. They worked together on their schoolwork helping each other whenever they could. After school, Sayuki and Kevin were gonna make their moves.

Both: Hey you wanna hang out?

Kevin: Uh-

Sayuki: You first.

Kevin: I think we know the answer already.

Sayuki: I wanna show you a shrine I go to. Are you religious?

Kevin: Not really but I respect others beliefs.

Sayuki: Then I'll show you mine tomorrow.

Kevin: Sure! The more I learn about Japanese culture the better! Pick me up at the hotel?

Sayuki: You got it!

As promised, Sayuki was waiting for Kevin in her sports car when he exited the lobby. She opened the door for him and got inside shortly after.

Sayuki: It's quite a drive, but the shrine is worth it. It may even help you in your fire flying.

Kevin: Anything to help me and my team.

The drive took three hours and then some no thanks to the traffic, but the two teens didn't care. They spent so much time talking about a myriad of things that the time and delays simply flew by. From their upbringings to their struggles, they talked about it all. When they arrived, they were so far out of Tokyo that they were in a completely different prefecture.

Sayuki: Welcome to Suwa-taisha Shimosha, Akimiya.

Kevin was amazed at the large shrine.

Kevin: Wow...

Sayuki: Impressive, right?

Kevin: That's an understatement.

Sayuki: Come. Let's pray.

Kevin: How?

Sayuki: Follow my example.

Sayuki walked to the back of the large shrine. Kevin followed closely. There was a line leading to the entrance, but no one went inside. Visitors bowed their heads at the opening and stood there for several moments, then walked away. The same process occurred until it was Sayuki and Kevin's turn.

Sayuki: Just bow your head and say your prayers to yourself.

She bowed twice and stood still.

Sayuki: (In her head) I pray for the success of my volleyball team and for my wishes, desires, and feelings be heard.

Kevin followed her example.

Kevin: (In his head) H-Hey god/goddess. I'm new to this sort of thing so please be patient. I wish for my fire flight team to be the best in the world and any help from you will be greatly appreciated. I know Kristopher is looking down on all of us, so I would like to send a message to him: We are successfully carrying your legacy. That is all, thank you.

The two walk away.

Sayuki: How was that?

Kevin: I felt like I had a connection there.

Sayuki: With who?

Kevin: I don't know...maybe whoever oversees this shrine?

Kevin noticed frog and snake iconography strewn along a board.