Chapter 6: Rematch

After Marcy's return things were much more bearable when it came to fire flying. The team made win after win and soon enough, it was time for the National finals. Winner would be the best in the country and fly abroad to compete with a foreign team as a grand finale. The Kestrels just had one more hurdle to jump over before they could get into the world stage. However, the team they would have to face was the same team that accidentally took Kristopher away from them: Springfield Squadron.

Oscar: Now I know how some of you feel about Springfield Squadron, but don't let it hinder your performance out there. They will be fighting on our turf so I want you all to be in your best shape possible. Their lineup is the same as before: 3 F-16s. You've dealt with them before so you should know how to attack them.

It was time for the match. Scores of spectators came to watch the two teams clash again, hoping the results were far better than last time. Many people filled the fences and the streets, and a lot of them came from outside Monarca. When the Kestrels saw the Springfields Marcy, Mavis, and Jeremiah noticed that one of their pilots was different. Springfield 1 came to say hello.

Springfield 1: Hey...

Marcy: Hello...

Jeremiah: I don't recognize one of your members. Are they new?

Springfield 1: Springfield 2? Yeah...it's a bit of a story...

Kevin: If you don't mind, please tell it.

Springfield 1: After the accident the original Springfield 2 developed survivor's guilt. The students weren't any help and your Kestrel over there wasn't any better.

She pointed at Marcy.

Springfield 1: Despite the investigation results declaring the collision an accident, our classmates blamed him for Kristopher's death and some even went as far as calling him a murderer. The harassment affected him so much that he....offed himself.

Mavis: That's awful.

Springfield 1: The most fucked up part? No one in our school paid respects. He was replaced almost immediately with our current Springfield 2.

Jeremiah: Damn...

Springfield 1: In his honor, Springfield Squadron will not hold anything back. We will go all out to win this.

Kevin: So will we. To honor Kristopher.

Springfield 1: So be it.

The match was TDM. All pilots on both sides were ready to give their all to win the final. Whatever happens, only one squadron is gonna come out as the best fire flight squadron in America.

Kevin: Kevin, engaging.

Jeremiah: Jester, engaging.

Marcy: Twintails and Doc, engaging.

The match started and weapons were free. The six planes gracefully danced in the sky hoping to best one another. Jeremiah went after Springfield 2, Marcy tailed Springfield 3, and Kevin, Springfield 1. The situation was so tense that hardly anyone spoke. There was no time for brevity, only action.

Home 1 - 0 Away

1 - 2

3.7 - 2

4 - 4.3

6 - 4.9

The mere 15 minute match felt like 15 hours with how close the match was being fought. After the 15 minutes was up, the result was 10 - 12.4. Round two started, and all the planes, refueled and rearmed, took to the skies to brawl again. The fighting was the very definition of "controlled chaos": Savage, yet sophisticated. On the ground the cheers were deafening, but in the air silence was the unbearable factor, as everyone was concentrating on their avant-garde strategies. After the timer ran out, the match was won by the Kestrels 14.3 - 12.7. The tiebreaker event will decide the fate of the participants.