Chapter 7: The Journey Begins

Sure enough, everyone packed their bags. The Kestrels also trained several times before the trip, but had to take it easy on the airframes. After the aircraft were inspected by certified aircraft mechanics, the Kestrel's planes were equipped with drop tanks and cleared for international flight. Kevin's parents were there to see their son off.

Lorenza: I wish I could go with you, but duty calls here.

Morgan: Call us if anything happens, for better or worse.

Kevin: You bet.

He hugged his family and boarded his Harrier.

Kevin: Goodbye mom. Goodbye dad. I love you.

They waved goodbye.

Lorenza: Please be safe.

She looked like she was about to cry.

Morgan: We'll be watching you on the tele so don't screw up or we'll see, heh.

Lorenza pushed her husband as he laughed.

When everyone said their goodbyes, it was time to take off. Jeremiah, Marcy, and Mavis were in their respective planes. Oscar rented a small private jet to carry luggage and other essentials. They lined up at the runway, and one by one the Monarca Kestrels took off for China.

The skies were beautiful and clear. The pilots climbed higher into the atmosphere, higher than any of them expected to be climbing on their own. The clouds they encountered were thick and calm. Kevin even decided to fly through one of them just for the heck of it. The sun was casting rays warming the pilots in their cockpits. For the most part it was quiet and peaceful, with the occasional conversation. When they flew over the Island of Midway, Jeremiah talked about how his ancestor fought in WWII as a member of the famous "Red-Tail Squadron", known for consisting of African American pilots. Not long after the pilots got contact.

???: This is the U.S. Aircraft Carrier Swordsman, what is your affiliation, respond now or get shot down.

Oscar: This is the Monarca Kestrels fire flight squadron. We're here for the fuel stop process.

Carrier: The Kestrels? Copy that. We'll initiate handshake procedures and HUD updates for carrier landing.

Oscar: Roger.

The carrier sent the information just as promised. They had access to the squadron's comms and safely guided the planes onto the deck. Surprisingly, despite Oscar's rental not suited for carriers he managed to land on the deck without an arrestor hook or any other assist. On the other hand, since the Kestrel's planes were already designed with carrier use in mind, landing their planes was easy. Kevin didn't even need to land conventionally, as he hovered his plane into the deck. The pilots got out of their planes and spent the hour to stretch and use amenities if necessary.

Jeremiah (teasingly): Showoff.

Some of the Navy pilots welcomed them to their carrier. Others couldn't care less. Either way, they were treated with food, drink, and restrooms. Some of the pilots were fans of them.

Pilot: Nice flying during the Scrappers match.

Crewmate: Your vertical brake check was crazy!

Pilot: If you go easy on the rocket fire, you can save ammunition in the long run.

After a few conversations and trading tips, it was time for the Kestrels to complete the second half of their flight. First, Oscar's plane needed to get additional room to take off, so it had to start from the very back of the carrier. That was enough to get the passenger jet airborne. Again, since the Tomcats were designed for carrier use, they got hooked up to the catapults after Oscar took off.