Chapter 13: Officiate

Kevin agreed with Mavis's comment the night before, but Ryan's word still nagged him. He went to school looking visibly troubled. When he sat down, Sayuki became worried when she noticed.

Sayuki: Hey Kevin, what's wrong?

Kevin: Some American ace mocked us last night. He says that we're not real fighter pilots.

Sayuki: I believe you are.

Kevin: And so do the others. But why does it hurt so much? Maybe it's because he is the best fighter in the biz?

Sayuki: You want me to comfort you during lunch?

Kevin: Yeah, that'd be great.

During lunch the Kestrels mingled with Sayuki's friends while Sayuki herself comforted Kevin.

Sayuki: Come, lay your head on my lap. This is what my mom does when I'm troubled.

Sayuki petted her thigh. Kevin followed her instruction. He rested his head on her lap and she combed her fingers through his hair, humming a tune.

Sayuki: You're a great fighter.

Kevin: I know...

Sayuki: Your team are great fighters.

Kevin: Yes they are...

Sayuki: Your flying is amazing.

Kevin: It truly is...

Jeremiah: Looks like Kevin's getting the mommy treatment!

Kevin couldn't help but burst out laughing, Sayuki too.

Jeremiah: Is that why you hooked up with her? To satisfy your mommy kink?

Kevin: Q-Quiet you!

Mavis: If it makes him feel better, why stop a good thing.

Kevin: Thank you, Mavis.

The bell rang to signify the end of lunch.

Kevin: Better get going, hun. Thanks though. I needed that.

Sayuki: Anytime.

...

After school, the Kestrels were walking out.

Sayuki: Hey guys. You know we have a festival coming in a few days.

Marcy: You never told us about a festival.

Sayuki: It's because I never had the opportunity to bring it up with you altogether. But now that I have, Hayakami day is coming on Thursday.

Because of course there was a festival going on...

Kevin: What's Hayakami day?

Sayuki: Hayakami day is when we celebrate our independence from Saitama.

Mavis: So kinda like the 4th of July?

Sayuki: Yes. Hayakami used to be a chunk of Saitama until we gained our independence in 1976. So every year, we celebrate with bright lights, music, and games.

Jeremiah: Sounds fun. I'm in.

Marcy: Well it's not like we have anything better to do so, eh, why not.

Kevin: Of course I'll participate. I love a good party.

Mavis: Same here.

Sayuki: Then it's settled then. For now though, you guys wanna come to the mall with me and my friends?