chapter 14-

Letting Chat loose was just about the best thing he could have possibly done. The sweet, anxiety inducing silence that swept over his mind like a blanket made it all worth it.

For about 10 minutes, anyway.

Then he started hearing things properly, a car driving down the street, people talking at a distance.

It was overwhelming, in a way he wasn't really used to.

He didn't have time to focus on them at the moment, though. He was at ease, wrangling thousands of shadows in passing as he marched towards the woman's location.

He had paged her, it took a while, but he'd eventually led her to believe that he wasn't that upset with her misconduct.

A lie, considering the thought of his kid laying in those uncomfortable, thin hospital bed sheets gave him an almost visceral reaction.

Luckily, she was dumb enough to fall for it.

She was apparently underground, hiding in one of the catacombs. He wasn't going to complain, sure it was an annoying walk, but it was quiet, and secluded.

He entered the catacombs lazily, eyeing the dark area around him.

This place was dangerous enough without it being a whole maze.

“Find her, and don't do anything I don't tell you to. Go.” Techno ordered, the shadows on the wall warbling and whispering before they were gone.

Unlike some people, chat knew how to follow instructions.

Sometimes.

Ok, barely ever, but still.

Techno was walking around casually, he didn't bother putting on his mask, she already knew what he looked like.

A bad decision on his part, honestly. He owes Phil a hell of an apology.

He kept a slow pace, keeping an eye out for markers so he knew where to go. He tried not to go too far, but the wandering helped keep him untense. 

The darkness the tunnels were swallowed in also gave him an advantage, one he'd be stupid not to take.

He's sure chats liking it as well.

It's not often they get to be out fully. For good reason of course, no matter how much they complain.

He's not sure how much time has passed exactly, but it was long enough that he was getting inpatient. He straightens when he spots a few of the shadows coming towards him.

They'd found her.

With narrowed eyes, Techno followed the formless shadows. With every twist and turn he felt himself get angrier.

He rallied chat back to him as he approached her.

He didn't bother quieting his steps, wanting her to know he'd found her.

That he'd cornered her.

"Bellator." Puffy greeted nervously, one of her hands held tightly against the wall, almost like she was trying to keep herself standing.

Chat rolled from his body like smoke, curling towards puffy. Overlapping each other, their excitement growing as Puffy watched them in horror.

They twirled and wrapped themselves around her arm, trailing upwards towards her head.

Their voices were deafening in the quiet echoes of the tunnel, loud and chaotic. Techno looked unphased, while Puffy tried to cover her ears tightly.

"Silence." Techno ordered, the sound stopped, everything going still at his command.